Chapter 21: Reunited

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger,” was a famous saying, but like in several cases, Hono Hijiri was exempt from the statement. The two weeks at sea didn’t kill him, nor did the storm that persisted for 2 days during their travel, but it didn’t make him any more resistant to his seasickness. Luckily for him, the days passed like a blur, with only the events holding any significance to him. For most of each day, he spent his time below deck; either sleeping, studying the map of their destination, attempting and sometimes failing to eat his meals or just agonizing over his nausea. Occasionally, during calmer periods, one of his colleagues would escort him to the topside for some fresh air before ultimately returning to his quarters once the boat began to rock again. And the lack of medicine didn’t help matters in any case, although it was to be expected; after all, a boat filled with seasoned sailors wouldn’t have anyone with seasickness as a problem and Hijiri’s excuse when angrily questioned by Akame was that he believed he had overcome it. A poor excuse but a reasonable one considering the one giving it. 

On a fateful day, during one of their calmer moments at sea, Hijiri decided to take a stroll above deck as his pride wouldn’t let him be treated like an invalid. Glancing at the marked map one last time, he quietly exhaled, mentally noting that they had already used up nearly a month on travel alone and he and the other Night raiders would have to find his aunt as soon as possible if he wished to hit the 2 month window of his return. 

While to the others, it might have seemed like another one of his spot-on gut feelings, he could vividly recall overhearing his aunt planning with another, with the island; Kichōna as their destination. Sighing once more, he wondered just how much trust Najenda had in him to go along with his vague planning and Hijiri was truly grateful for associates like Night Raid. He chuckled softly upon recalling his first encounter with the group and closed up the map, inhaling deeply before setting out.

He walked out of his room, silently returning the greetings of the sailors that mulled about and cocking a brow at the overly enthusiastic hollers of a few.

 Taking the stairs one, the clouds parted and rays of the afternoon sun bathed the silver head, who somewhat regretted his actions but ignored the annoyance and trudged on.

The wooden floor creaked and the captain and Akame turned back, her long black hair fluttering in the wind as she gave Hijiri a welcoming smile, “Nice of you to join us up here, Hijiri-san.”

“Yer sure yer good bein’ up here ‘n all?” The captain asked while rubbing his beard absentmindedly with a look Hijiri interpreted as pity in his eyes.

Snorting inwardly, he gave a grateful smirk to the captain, attempting a different reply from the last time he was faced with such a look, “I’m fine, thanks. So?” He glanced between the two, “any news?”

“Well, have I got music for yer ears.”

“Grinning politely, Hijiri gave off an aura Akame had only seen in the higher class of society, replying to the captain while being seemingly ignorant of her scrutinizing stare, “Oh, and what might that be?” 

Pointing up, the silver head looked up to find what the skipper gestured at, a brow cocking at the white noisy birds he hadn’t paid any attention to since arriving on the top deck, “Gulls?”

“Aye.”

His crimson eyes slowly expanded, his head turning as he looked around searching, “We’re close to the island?”

“Aye, we’ll arrive within the hour if all goes well. So if yer’ll excuse me,” he tipped his peaked cap at the assassins, turning and barking others at his crewmates.

Akame’s brows raised at the sight of Hijiri’s swiftly retreating form, a small smile gracing her lips as she shook her head and walked after him, weaving through the scampering sailors.