Chapter 12: Downfall

Hijiri clasped his claymore tightly in his right hand, the red cracks on the hilt glowing brighter as it assumed an inhumane look, the tip of the blade curving slightly. Blood red flames lingered on the great sword, an ominous aura surrounding his weapon and himself. His right foot slid back as he leaned forward, his crimson eyes burning with rage, the ground caving beneath him.

He slammed his blade into Haruma's staff, the blow throwing him airborne. Just before his feet touched the ground, Hijiri dashed behind him and slammed the flat side of his claymore into his side, smacking him into the air once more. Shooting off the ground, Hijiri spun throwing a heavy kick on Haruma's torso, the ground giving way to a large crater as he crashed, the shockwave clearing the surrounding dust. Flames swirled around his claymore as he swung down, a large explosion and a powerful tremor befitting of the fissure created by Hijiri's attack.

DID YOU NOTICE?

Hijiri clicked his tongue in annoyance as he watched the plumes of smoke that rose from the hole.

"Yes! That's what that bastard gets!" Tatsumi yelled happily.

"No...the battle isn't over yet, Tatsumi-san." Kanae muttered worriedly.

"Are you done wasting your energy? Or do you wish to continue venting your anger, Hono Hijiri?" Haruma stated, dusting his clothes as he stepped out of the crater.

The land shattered and Hijiri swung at him, claymore smashing into his bow staff and launching him off the ground. He closed the distance once more, Haruma flicking his staff to successfully parry Hijiri's downward slash, spinning and slamming the rod into his side, knocking Hijiri back.

Rushing after him, Haruma slid to a stop, turning and swinging his staff down. Hijiri raised his great sword and the two clashed, neither refusing to budge. Hijiri's eyes widened slightly as Haruma's open palm received his jab, the force pushing him back a few paces. He opened his left palm, a large blue fireball homing in on Haruma.

The ground crumbled and broke open, large scaly spikes launching upwards shielding Haruma.
Hijiri's frown deepened as a jagged spike pierced his right foot from beneath, blood splattering about as it held him in place. The debris cleared and he leaned forward, swinging down, Haruma's staff deflecting the claymore in a wide arc as his clenched fists slammed into Hijiri's torso hitting him back, the spike ripping out a good part of his foot.

He slid to a stop, gritting his teeth as the demon's voice boomed in his head. THE FUCK YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING? HEAL UP FOR NOW, I'LL STALL HIM.

Stay out of this!

YOUR BODY IS MINE TO CONSUME DON'T FORGET THAT YOU TWAT.

Humanoid horned monsters crawled out from cracks on the ground, each with an uncomfortably striking resemblance to Hijiri except for the flames that poured out of their eye sockets and that the coloration of Hijiri's inhumane arm was that of their entire body. They charged at Haruma, Hijiri letting out a deep growl in annoyance.

SIT YOUR ASS DOWN, BRAT. THOSE THINGS ARE WEAKER THAN YOU SO THE SOONER YOU GET HEALED, THE SOONER YOU CAN KICK THAT BASTARD'S ASS!
He exhaled sharply, his white lashes narrowing as he observed Haruma's movement.

Clicking his tongue in irritation, Haruma taunted, "Choosing to hide behind fodder now eh?" The first three leapt at him as he spun his staff sliding back, all three moving past him. One charged at him, the staff becoming a blur as it struck the demon's jaw, tearing through and throwing it back. Twirling the staff, he weaved through the attacks of two, thrusting his rod through the back of one's knee, hitting the other end of the staff to rip all the way through, disjointing it.
Dashing forward, he shoved his staff's end into the eye socket of a demon, spinning it with both hands as it bore through its head. Haruma yanked it closer and planted a front kick on the monster's chest, knocking it into another as he held up his pole in his right arm, throwing it like a javelin and impaling the two monsters in a hit.
Another sprinted from behind Haruma, throwing a high kick, spinning, and continuing with a jump kick which was effortlessly dodged by Haruma. He jabbed at the creature, his fist buried into its trunk as it snarled and held Haruma's arm tightly. One of the several monsters leapt in the air, a large blue fireball the size of its chest grew within his two palms, sneering as it launched it at Haruma, a tremendous burst creating another crater.