Chapter 20 Part 3

Quietly disembarking the carriage, a faint smile graced Arata’s lips as his returning home brought back the fondest of memories. Before him was a grand mansion whose bright colours were beautifully enhanced by the afternoon sun. His smile was soon replaced with a forlorn expression while he pondered; with this being his first time returning in a while, it was truly a shame that he couldn’t enjoy it to the fullest.

Kiyoko stood beside him, quietly observing his reaction before touching his arm gently, “Let’s head in, shall we?”

Arata nodded and walked with her, pausing briefly as he noted the presence of many people before him. Leaning to his sister, he quietly inquired, “I had believed that by knowing my state, Father would have prepared for a much more subtle welcome.” She simpered at his comment, the latter tilting his head slightly, perplexed by her reaction.

“It seems all those years away had made you forget how things work here. This,” Kiyoko gestured with her open palms at the lines of the house’s workers who all bowed to greet the returning Arashi, “is as subtle as it gets.”

“Is that so,” he stood upright, continuing after a brief pause, “Well I should be grateful that a festival was not thrown to celebrate my return.”

Kiyoko giggled lightly, the younger Arashi turning to her as though shooting her a glance before he faced ahead, masking the curiosity he felt.

“Maybe if you had acquired some amazing achievement, then Father would consider doing such. Speaking of,” she looked from her brother to the hulking man who stood by the entrance of his home.

Years had passed and the Patriarch of the Arashi didn’t seem to have aged a bit; his spiky blue hair that could be easily likened to a lion’s mane was shifted by a gentle breeze, his trimmed beard, and stern gaze along with his muscular form commanded power. He donned an armour with a similar design to Kiyoko’s but larger, a two-handed greatsword with the emblem of a silver dragon at its hilt hung on his waist, partly covered by his azure cloak. His gaze moved from the concerned Kiyoko to the impassive Arata, his brows furrowing slightly at the bandages that bound his eyes.

“We greet the patriarch.” The two stated in unison.

“Inside.” His cloak bellowed as he turned and headed inside the mansion, his children a few paces behind him.

Arata couldn’t tell if it was homesickness or if he was simply relieved that very little had changed, but everything, including his father’s cold and straight-to-the-point command; contrasting the warm welcome people normally received when returning home, brought a smile to his face. He raised a hand to cover his lips but that only attracted the formerly uninterested Kiyoko who raised a brow at his actions.

The patriarch stopped by a large pair of mahogany doors and so did his children, his firstborn shooting a questioning glance at the younger, immediately realizing her futile action and sighing tiredly.

“Your mother has had little sleep as she was awaiting your arrival. Do not worry her much.”

Matching his father’s tone, all traces of Arata’s previous smile vanished as he replied, “Understood, Father.”

Sparing him a glance, the patriarch pushed open the doors, meeting the gaze of a winsome woman who hopped off her chair at the sound of his entry. The first lady of the Arashi was beautiful and that fact didn’t seem to change even in the face of time. She was fair and of average height, her long blue was braided and hung on her shoulder. Slowly releasing a part of her white trench coat from her nervous grasp, a few wrinkles faded as her expression eased, her eyes growing glossier with each passing moment.

Closing the distance in a few steps, Kiyoko called out, “Mother, we’re back.” Chortling lightly at the prolonged embrace from her firstborn, she returned her worried gaze to Arata, her brows furrowing at the covering on his face.