Chapter 3

Chapter 3

   Even though I went to bed early last night, I woke up with a throbbing headache. Mom wouln't even let me stay home. She told me that missing a day of school because of a headache can result in serious consequences. In my opinion, she was overreacting. I could easily catch up after staying home one day. But she wouldn't listen to a single word I had to say. So, I had to suck it up and go to school.

   By the time it was lunch, my headache was a lot worse, especially since I sat behind Belle and her friends in my English class and they spent the whole period blabbing away.

   As I was putting my books in my locker, the six people decided to pester me again. I always dealt with it, hoping they would get bored and move on. That was never the case.

   "How was detention yesterday?" Devon asked.

   I didn't answer. I was not in the mood for them to pester me. Having a headache this bad would probably cause me to snap at them, which would make Belle's story about me 'ruining her life' more believable.

   "What's wrong?" Belle asked in a fake sympathetic tone. "Cat got your tongue?"

   "I'm just not in the mood to talk," I muttered.

   "Why?" Devon asked. "You feeling guilty for ruining Belle's life?"

   I wasn't able to contain myself. "I am not ruining her life!" I snapped before I could stop myself. I rubbed my head and sighed, hoping nobody was watching the conversation.

   "No wonder nobody likes you," Devon said. "You're so tempermental." His diss resulted in high fives amongst the six of them.

   "Just leave," I said, closing my locker.

   "Leave?" Belle asked. "You expect me to leave you alone after what you did?!"

   "I did nothing!" I repeated for what felt like the hundredth time. "What happened wasn't my fault!" Great, my yelling was causing my headache to get worse. There was no way I was going to be able to concentrate in the rest of my classes.

   "I'll believe that once pigs fly," Belle scoffed.

   "I don't care what you believe," I said. "I am seriously not in the mood for all of you to pester me. Go bother someone else."

   "And what if we don't?" Devon asked, taking a threatening step closer to me.

   "You'll regret it," a voice behind me said in a cold tone. I turned to see Grayson. Him always showing up while I was being pestered was a miracle. My headache was still getting worse and having Grayson here to tell Devon off made me feel a lot better. The headache wasn't gone, but I felt relieved.

   Devon immediately glared his dagger-like eyes at Grayson. "How many times do I have to tell you to stay out of it?"

   Grayson stepped between me and Devon. "I don't know. The same amount of times I have to tell you to leave her alone."

   "You're not all that, Grayson," Belle said as if it was an insult.

   However, Grayson didn't take it as one. "Thank you, Captain Obvious. I really appreciate the feedback. Now why don't you do me a favor and leave? Or I could beat up your boyfriend. Your choice."

   Devon scoffed, though I saw a hint of fear in his eyes. "You really think you could beat me up? I'd like to see you try."

   "Is that a challenge?" Grayson asked, taking a step towards his enemy.