Chapter 10

Chapter 10

   A week later, I knew something was going on with Devon, Belle, and their friends. Grayson was back at school and they seemed to be everywhere Grayson was. At lunch, wherever Grayson and I ate, they were there too.

   After school, Grayson offered to give me a ride home. Since I was ungrounded, I had my cell phone back and I was able to call Mom to let her know. Usually, I had to use the phone in the office which took forever because there was always a huge line up.

   I hadn't seen Ben since the time at the beach, thankfully. I was also so worried about seeing him again.

   "Grayson," I said as he drove out of the parking lot. "Do you notice something weird going on with Devon and Belle?"

   "Kind of," Grayson said. "It is my first day back after my suspension so I have no idea if they were acting like that when I was gone."

   "Trust me, they weren't," I said. "It's kind of creeping me out."

   Grayson looked in his review mirror. "Speaking of creeping......."

   I turned around in my seat and saw Devon driving the car behind us with Belle in the passenger seat. "Are the seriously following us?" I asked.

   "I have no idea," Grayson said. "But to be on the safe side, call your parents and ask if we could hang at the beach. If they knew where either of us live, then that would be a huge problem."

   I nodded and pulled my cell phone out of my bag, thankful that I moved to a smaller house once Tony moved out. Belle knew where my old house was but not my new one. I dialed my home phone and held the phone up to my ear. Honestly, I was really hoping Mom didn't answer. I knew how she felt about me being friends with Grayson and she would probably decline.

   "Hello?" Dad answered, causing me to let out a silent sigh of relief.

   "Hey Dad," I said. "Would you mind if I hang out with Grayson at the beach for a bit?"

   "I don't see why not," Dad said. "Make sure you're home before six."

   "I promise," I said with a smile. "Thanks, Dad."

   "Have fun, Poppy," Dad said before hanging up.

   I put my cell phone back into my bag. "I'm allowed to go. Quick question, though. Why are we going to the beach?"

   "I always use it as an escape," Grayson said. "If we don't lose these two through the traffic, then we'll have to find a way to lose them at the beach."

   "I'm just hoping we don't run into Ben again," I muttered quietly, though Grayson was able to hear me.

   "You seemed really shocked to see him yesterday," Grayson said. "When was the last time you saw him?"

   "After the thing happened," I said. "He......." I shook my head, preventing myself from saying anymore. I really wanted to tell Grayson about what happened, but I still wasn't ready to talk about it. I even tried to, but I always stopped myself. I was hoping to do it soon though because I knew I was going to run into Ben again eventually. If Grayson knew exactly what happened, he would definitely understand more and make sure Ben didn't go near me again.

   Grayson sighed. "I really wish you would tell me what happened. I'm so confused about the whole Ben thing."

   "I want to tell you, Grayson," I said. "I really do, but I just can't talk about it. I try, but the memories are still to much for me to handle."