Chapter 13

Chapter 13

   One of the sports I hated the most had to be volleyball. Then again, I hate basically every single sport. But out of all of them, volleyball was definitely the worse, especially if Belle is in my gym class and was on the opposing team.

   I wasn't that skilled in volleyball. I could do the simple underhand serve and volley, but other than that, I was not good at all.

   When my gym teacher, Miss North, told us we were going to play volleyball, I silently groaned. Why did we have to play the sport I hated the most?

   When Miss North started dividing up the teams, I honestly hoped Belle would be on my team. As much as I hated her, it would be better to have her on my team as opposed to the opposing team.

   That didn't happen. On the bright side, Grayson was on my team. Well, if you considered your only friend ignoring you and is one your team a 'bright side'. But then it was ruined when one of Belle's friends, Loni, was put on my team.

   There were four teams and two different courts. And the team I just had to be against first was Belle. And Devon was on her team. Why did it always feel like the world was out to get me?

   "Poppy," Belle said before the game started. "Just a heads up that the game is going to get ugly."

   "And just a reminder that I don't care," I told her.

   I went to back-left position of the court, hoping that the ball didn't come to me. Belle was serving first on the other team, so starting in the back might have been a bad idea, especially since Belle was a skilled volleyball player. She served it with an overhand serve directly at me. I tried bumping it, but I panicked at the last minute and missed.

   Loni scoffed and retrieved the ball. "Here's a hint," she said. "Try hitting the ball."

   "No, really?" I asked sarcastically. "I thought the object of the game is to completely avoid the ball."

   Loni glared at me before throwing the ball to Belle. Belle served it again, directly at me. That time, I was actually able to bump it. Kind of. The ball hit the net.

   "Are you serious?" Loni asked.

   "This isn't competitive," I said. "And at least I hit the ball."

   "Try hitting it over the net," Loni said.

   "And try shutting up," I shot back. I could have sworn I heard Grayson snort, but when I looked at him, he was just staring at the ground. Something was definitely up with him.

   "I'm about to serve!" Belle warned. She threw the ball over her head and hit it hard, sending it once again in my direction. Unfortunately, the ball was too high for me to bump and I didn't react fast enough to volley. It hit me right in the head, and I immediately blacked out.

~*~

   My eyes slowly opened, trying to recognize the dull color of the room I was in. Bland, grey colors. It took me a while for me to figure out that I was in the nurse's office.

   "Good, you're awake," the school nurse, Carol, said as she walked in. "You already missed two periods." Carol was a very kind woman. I had been in the nurses office once or twice and I knew how helpful she was to any situation, even emotional pains rather than physical.

   "What happened?" I asked, sitting up and rubbing away the throbbing pain in my head.

   "You took a ball to your head," Carol explained. "Passed out instantly. You have no signs of a concussion, luckily. You seem worn out, so getting hit on the head was probably icing on the cake." Slowly, I remembered what happened. Belle served the ball right at my head. Jerk.