Chapter 29

Get ready for a bumpy ride because this chapter gets intense. Very intense.

Chapter 29

I was hoping Grayson would have called me to tell me how things went once he told his mom what his dad and brother almost did. He never did. I was getting a bit worried about him to be honest. I knew nothing bad could have happened but why wasn't he calling me?

Mom and Dad returned home later in the afternoon. Belle was still at my house because we were catching up and going back to be best friends. I missed her being my best friend a lot and I was happy that we were able to both put the incident with Ben behind us.

"Poppy," Mom said, walking upstairs from the dining room. She was holding a cell phone in her hand. "Whose phone is this?"

I grabbed it from her and looked at it. "Oh, that's why he wasn't calling!" I said to myself. I looked at my mom. "It's Grayson's phone. He must have left it here last night."

Mom raised an eyebrow. "Grayson was here last night? I thought you only asked for Belle to sleepover."

"It wasn't my fault," I said. "He invited himself in and refused to leave because of, well, let's just say family problems at home. But he slept on the basement couch while I slept in my room."

Mom sighed. "Even when you're not dating, you and Grayson are still close."

"Well," I said. "He actually asked me for another chance yesterday. We're got back together."

I, honestly, expected a harsh look from Mom; narrowed eyes and the shake of her head. That was not the case. She smiled instead. "I'm happy for you," she said. "I know how much you like him."

"I hate to interrupt," Belle said, "but I really need to get home. My mom needs to talk to me about what's happening with Ben."

"I'll drive you," Mom offered.

"Thank you," Belle said as she stood up from the couch. She walked over to me and gave me a hug. "I'm really happy we're friends again.

"Me too," I said.

Right as Mom was about to open the door to leave, someone knocked on the door. Mom opened it, revealing Grayson. "Can I come in?" he asked Mom.

"Of course," Mom said. She moved aside to let Grayson in, then she left with Belle.

"Hey," I said, walking over to him. "You left your phone here, by the way." I held it out for him and he took it.

"No wonder I couldn't find it," he said as he put it in his jeans' pocket. "So I have some good news. I told my mom about what my dad and Graeme did to me the day she left and she was pissed. So she told me to pack my things. I now live with just her and Ginny."

I smiled. "That's great, Grayson!"

"Yeah, it is," Grayson said, a smile matching mine. "We don't live far from here, actually. My new house is closer to here than my old house was."

"Is it weird just living with your mom?" I asked.

"Well, it is a bit weird even though it's been a few hours," he admitted. "But at least I know that she still loves me. Though me getting almost beaten to death happened five years ago, she doesn't trust my dad to raise me even more. Like when my dad said that he raised me for five years, my mom said and I quote 'Raised? Don't you mean beat him to a point where he almost died?'"

"Wow, your mom sounds pretty awesome," I said.

"Yeah, she is," Grayson agreed. "I never even realized how much I missed her. I was just angry at her, but now that she took me away from my dad, I couldn't be more happy."