7

I GET A message from Margot, telling me that herself and Mr Ashford are gonna be late tonight. Parker went out a while ago, so it's just Jack and I. They said I could sleep over in the spare room, or I could wait up and just go home once they're back. To be honest, I'd much rather stay the night. I hate driving in the dark. I only have my clothes from earlier and the clothes i'm wearing right now. Parker's clothes. I absolutely despise not being clean.

"Okay," I clap, standing up from the couch.

Jackson looks up at me, chewing on the straw of his juice box.

"Wanna come on a little trip to my house?" I give him a pleading grin.

He pouts, snuggling down in his paw patrol onesie.

"You can play angry birds on my phone." I hum.

A cheeky grin appears on his face.

"Deal." he jumps up, switching off the TV.

Once Jack gets his shoes and coat on, we get in my car. I don't know if 8 year olds need a booster seat. I don't have one either way, but I doubt I'll be checked at 7pm on a fifteen minute drive.

We pull up to my house not long after. It feels like a shoebox compared to the Ashfords'.

"Welcome to my house, Mr Ashford." I open the passenger seat door for him, helping him down onto the sidewalk.

Jackson looks up at it, smiling.

"I like it." he gives me a nod.

"Thanks, kiddo." I smile back, taking his little hand and leading him to the front door.

The house is dark since I've been out all day. I flip on the lights and we make our way up the stairs.

"Okay, you can... I don't know. I'm just gonna pack a few things." I look around frantically.

I don't remember the last time I slept away from home. Probably when I was around Jackson's age.

I walk over to my closet and pull it open, taking out a pair of jeans for tomorrow and packing them in my backpack.

Moving over to my drawer, I pull out long sleeve shirt, a t-shirt and a cami. I can't help but pack for any weather conditions. Finally, I pack underwear, socks and pyjamas. I shove my makeup bag in along with my skincare. I'm probably, definitely overpacking for a one night stay, but better heavy than... I don't think that's the saying but whatever.

"Elena?"

I turn to Jackson.

"Yeah bud?" I slip my hairbrush down the side and zip it up, not without a little struggle.

"Who's this?" He holds up a picture frame.

My heart aches, my throat catching.

I sit on the bed beside him. "That's my mom."

I take the frame from his hands, stroking the glass. We took this picture on my 11th birthday.

"Where is she?" he looks up at me innocently.

I give him a sad smile. "She got sick. And... she died."

"Oh." he furrows his brows a little.

"Yeah." I put the frame down on my bedside table.

"What about your dad?" he swings his legs a little.

"My dad works away. So I don't see him often." I shrug.

"So you live all alone?" he frowns and I nod.

"Oh." he says again.

"Oh-kay! I'm all packed up. Let's get you home in time for bedtime, kid." I clear my throat, standing up.

The car journey back to the Ashfords' is quiet, and once I park up in the drive, I realise it's because Jackson has fallen asleep. I pull my backpack on, next picking up the sleeping boy and taking all of us in to the house. I manage to get him upstairs and tucked into his little bed.

I find the spare room, which happens to be the room beside Parker's. Lucky me. I unpack my things, which doesn't take long considering, before getting ready for a shower. The fresh heated towels kept in the bathroom are pretty much the highlight of my month. I feel the best I have in days after the shower, and I change into my tank top and bed shorts.

My hair is still damp when I slip into bed. The sheets are crisp and I snuggle down beneath the covers, closing my eyes and letting myself drift off.

What feels like minutes later, I open my eyes. The time on my phone reads 4:27am and I groan, pulling the duvet from my body. The house is completely silent, and pitch black. I try my hardest not to make a sound as I walk out into the hallway and down the stairs. The marble is freezing cold an I begin to wish i'd but my socks back on. Finally, I reach the kitchen. The moon shines in through the window, the light illuminating the room a little.

I take a glass from the cabinet as I walk over to the island, taking the jug of filtered water and pouring some. Sighing, I pick up the glass and bring it to my lips.

"Hey, Kinsley."

I jump, the glass slipping from my hand. It falls to the ground with a loud crash and I gasp, stepping back as the water soaks my feet.

"Shit." I mumble, crouching down and beginning to pick up the glass.

"Let me do it." Parker crouches beside me, taking my hand as I reach down again.

"It's fine." I huff.

"Let me do it." he repeats, and I look up at him.

He takes the glass out of my hands and picks up the rest. I take a couple sheets of newspaper from the counter and hand them to him to wrap the glass with.

"What are you doing down here?" I sit on the barstool, swinging my legs a little.

"I was wondering the same thing." he glances up at me. "Or what you're doing here in general."

"Your parents told me I should stay the night." I explain.

He stands up, towering over me again.

"Oh?" he says.

"Mhm." I jump down from the stool, grabbing a kitchen cloth.

I bend down, wiping the water and attempting to scoop up the tiny remainders of glass on the tiles. When I stand back up, Parker is in my former seat. I throw the cloth in the trash and huff, turning to face him.

"Why do you hate me?" I blurt. I feel like his presence just makes me throw up words at this point.

He looks up at me. "What?"

"I try to be nice, but you shut me down." I tilt my head. "Why do you hate me?"

Parker looks slightly amused. "You're kinda adorable."

"What?" I snap.

"It's also adorable how you think everybody has to like you."

I falter a little. "Ouch."

He lets of a quick breath from his nose. Was that a laugh? I shouldn't have felt as much amusement from that as I did.

"I don't hate you Kinsley." Parker adds as he walks away.

I hate how much better that made me feel.