17

I STRETCH AS I wake up in this upsettingly comfortable bed. I'm not sure what time it is, but the sun is shining brightly through the crack in the curtains, so I'm assuming it's early morning. I sit up, running my hands through my hair and reaching for my phone to check the time. Instead of my phone, I feel something else on my bedside table. A book. I open an eye to look at the cover, and as soon as I do I wish I hadn't. The events of last nights dinner begin to replay in my head and I lay down, pushing my face into my pillow and groaning.

I don't think I'm ever gonna be able to look Parker in the eyes again. I'm gonna have to avoid him for the whole year that I'm living here. Maybe I should just move out and go back to living on my own. I can't ever see him again. Mid breakdown, my door knocks. I sit up, sighing.

"It's open." I mumble.

The door pushes open and my heart skips as Parker steps in from behind it. He studies me and I instantly feel self conscious of my bed hair and swollen lips. It's hard to believe it's 8 in the morning, because as usual he looks flawless.

"Mom has the day off. She wants to take us to get holiday stuff." he says bluntly.

I clear my throat. "When?"

"An hour."

"Okay." I nod.

Parker doesn't say anything else, just disappears behind the door again. I let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding in, before pulling back the duvet and exposing my bare legs to the cold as I get out of bed.

After a shower, I pull my hair up into a ponytail and pull on a hoodie with some baggy jeans and my converse. I'm downstairs within 45 minutes, so I grab some cereal and set myself down at the island. I'll never get used to living in this house.

As I'm stirring the milk around the bowl, the chair beside me pulls out. I lean to the side a little to see Jackson climbing up. I smile.

"Morning kiddo."

He looks back at me, his cheeks flushed from the efforts he put into getting on that seat.

"Hi Elena." he smiles back, slightly out of breath.

"Do you want me to get you some cereal?" I go to get down from my seat but he shakes his head.

"I had breakfast earlier." he says, playing with his fingers.

"Okay." I pull myself back on my seat properly. "So, are you excited to go on holiday?"

His smile widens as he nods. "I don't really remember the other ones because I was a baby."

"You still are a baby."

Mrs Ashford appears from the office, smiling at her son.

"No I'm not Mommy." he whines.

"You're my baby." she leans forward, planting little kisses all over his cheek as he giggles.

"Okay, everyone ready?" she claps her hands together.

I get down from my seat, tipping the remainder of the milk into the sink and loading my bowl and spoon in to the dishwasher.

As Mrs Ash pulls the door open, I notice one of the Range Rovers are already on. I get in the back with Jackson and realise Parker is already in the car, on his phone.

"This is so exciting." Mrs Ashford looks back at us excitedly, and I smile.

The trip from here to the mall isn't long and we're there within half an hour. It isn't very busy, which is surprising since it's a Saturday, but quite lucky. We get out the car, and go through the main entrance.

"Okay," Mrs Ashford turns on her heels. "I'm gonna leave you two together while I take Jacky to get some things."

"What?" Parker and I say in unison.

"We'll meet you back at the car in an hour." she continues, taking Jackson's hand and walking away before we can even answer.

I glance at Parker and he shrugs his shoulders, his hands in his pockets. He nods his head to the side, turning his back and beginning to walk. I sigh, walking after him.

"What do you need?" he looks down at me as we walk side by side.

"Not much. Maybe some shorts. And swimwear." I twist my mouth to the side.

He takes me to this store that I didn't even know existed. I'm pretty sure it's a surf store. I walk over to the bikinis and Parker hangs back, looking at something on the other side of the store. This is way more awkward than it usually is, which is mostly my fault. I physically can't look him in the eye.

I find 4 bikinis I like, two pairs of short cargo shorts and a beach towel. I pretty much have everything else I need. I scan the store for Parker, and my eyes land on him a couple feet away. His back is towards me, his hand tracing over the design of one of the surfboards.

"Do you surf?" I ask as I stand beside him.

He looks down at me, a sad sincerity in his eyes that makes my heart ache. "I used to."

"Why'd you stop?" I'm not sure why I'm pushing, but I just wanna talk to him to be honest.

"I don't know. I wanted to focus on soccer." he walks away from the board and towards the till.

"Why can't you do both?" I ask again.

"You ask a lot of questions, Kinsley." he smiles.

"And you're unreasonably vague, Ashford." I laugh.

He shakes his head, smiling.

"You're smiling at me." I point out, nudging him gently with my shoulder.

"No I'm not." he cuts his eyes.

"I'm literally looking at you right now, and you're smiling at me." I tease.

"Just pay for your things Kinsley." he shakes his head, stalking off as I put my things down on the counter.

"Does this mean we're friends now?" I call after him.

"No." he replies before disappearing out of the store.

We go to a couple more stores, including a music store because Parker needed a new guitar pick, and a book store so I'd have a couple more books to read on holiday. I don't bring up the book he bought for me. I'm not sure why. After another half an hour we're done.

We didn't really talk much after that surf store, but I feel like I saw a different side to him. It was soft. Less cocky, less sarcastic, just soft. I liked that side. We reach the car and Mrs Ashford is already in the drivers seat, glasses on and flicking through a magazine. She smiles when she sees us, putting it down.

As we reach the car, Parker pulls open the back door for me, before opening his. I mutter a thanks, but I'm not sure he heard it. I slip in the back to see Jackson, a lollipop in his mouth as he kicks his legs contently.

"Hey Jack." I say quietly, pulling on my seatbelt.

He smiles at me, doing a grabbing motion with his little hand as a wave.

Mrs Ashford turns back to me. "Did you get everything you need Elena?"

"Yes, thank you." I nod, smiling at her.

"Okay troops, let's get back on the road!" she says, making Jackson laugh.

I never really had a proper family. Dad was working, Mom was sick, and I don't have any siblings.

But moments like this with the Ashfords makes up for it.