37

"SO YOU GUYS quite literally kissed and made up?" Bela says, taking another sip of the milkshake that we're sharing with two straws. We decided to go to Park Street today after school since we have like 3 classes together this year, and barely get to see each other.

I nod, feeling the colour creep into my cheeks.

"I thought so. He had lipgloss on when we came to rescue you. Didn't seem like his colour though." she says, which makes me laugh so loud that people turn to look.

Ignoring them, I rest forward on my elbows. "I just feel like such an idiot. I made a scene and he literally wasn't even talking about me."

"Main character syndrome." Bel shrugs. "Shit happens."

I groan, even though I'm laughing.

"Nek and I knew you were gonna make up. We made a bet on how long it would take when I was at his house, but I know you're stubborn so I-"

She blinks at me while I stare at her open mouthed.

"What?" she frowns, running a finger over her top lip. "Do I have a milkstache?"

"Why were you at Neki's house?" I say slowly, a grin creeping on to my lips.

Bela's eyes widen, becoming frantic as if she didn't even realise she'd said it.

"We- I was-"

"You two are hooking up!" I yell, grimacing as soon as I notice how loud it was.

"No we-"

"I knew it! How long?" I whisper shout.

"I've been meaning to tell you I just- you had so much going on with your- and then Parker, and I wanted you to hear it from me so I told him not to say anything but then I forgot and..."

Bel takes a well deserved deep breath. She spoke so fast just then I thought she was rapping.

I'm grinning from ear to ear as she pushes her curls over her shoulder.

"I'm sorry El, I just wanted to tell you myself so I told everyone to keep quiet." she says finally.

My smile fades and my eyes narrow.

"Everyone?" I say slowly.

She nods sheepishly.

"James? Parker? They know?" I ask.

She scrunches her nose, nodding again.

"I'm the last one to find out?!" I yell this time.

We're definitely gonna get kicked out.

"I'm sorry!" she cries, hiding her face in her hands.

"Isabela Ortega I could kill you right now." I mumble, leaning forward and taking a sip from the drink.

"You can't kill me, because that means no double dates." she pouts smugly.

"You two are dating?" I gasp, my eyes wider than wide.

She shakes her head quickly, laughing. "Maybe, sometime in the future though. I really like him."

I sigh. "I think I'm finally coming to terms with the fact that I like Parker too."

"Like?" Bela looks at me duly.

"What?" I say defensively, frowning.

"What you guys have isn't just 'like' El, and you know it." she says.

I contemplate her words, readying to argue, but I can't. Because she's right. And I can't stand the idea of admitting it.

"Whatever." I huff, pulling the cherry from the tower of whipped cream on our drink, placing it in my mouth and pulling off the stem.