27

I PULL THE front door of the Ashford home open and a smile appears on my lips at the sight of my best friend in front of me. It's Sunday afternoon, a day since we got back from Hawaii. We left on Friday night and got back early Saturday. I sat next to Jackson on the flight, since I didn't trust myself next to Parker. The way he makes me feel is thrilling, but it terrifies me. It's uncontrollable. I hate it.

Bela squeals, pulling me in and squeezing me tightly.

"Don't ever leave me for that long again." she frowns as she pulls away.

"Bel it was five days." I laugh.

"Five days too long." I lead her upstairs as she looks around, her mouth wide.

"You're living here?" she breathes.

I smile, pushing my bedroom door open and her jaw drops even further.

"I could fit my room in here four- no five times." Bela flops down on the bed, closing her eyes.

"No time for rest, we're here to pick outfits." I take her wrists and pull her so she's sitting up.

She groans. "I can't believe we have to go back to that prison tomorrow."

"Senior year Belz. Our final year." I clap excitedly.

"Exams, El." she sighs, finally pulling herself up and walking over to the closet.

She pulls it open, examining the clothes before her. As she rustles around, I sit on the bed, my hands in my lap.

"Parker and I kissed." I say, and she freezes.

I look up as she turns to me, her eyes wide.

"Kissed?" she repeats.

"Well, more like, made out. Twice." I sigh.

My best friend gives me a look that I know all too well. I lean back, quickly grabbing her a pillow before throwing it in her direction. She catches it, brings it to her face, and screams.

She looks up from the pillow, rushing over to the bed and perching herself on it so that she's facing me.

"Spill." she says, so seriously that I can't help but grin.

So I spill. I tell her about us arguing, missing out what we were arguing about. I tell her about how I felt when he kissed me, and how desperately I wanted him to take me on his bed. I tell her about the next morning, what happened and what he said to me.

"He said he was gonna what you on the counter?" she whisper screams.

I push my face into my hands, running them both back through my hair.

"I can't stop thinking about him Bel. He is all I can think about. He's all I see when I close my eyes." I mock cry as I flop backwards and lay on my back.

Bela lays beside me. "Uh, I'm not sure why that's surprising to you."

I hit her with the pillow and she laughs.

"I don't know what to do." I whine.

She shrugs as if it's the easiest thing in the world. "Tell him."

"Tell him what?"

"How you feel." she says in a duh tone.

I shake my head. "I don't have time. Plus he's only ever had one girlfriend, so I'm guessing he doesn't either."

"Guessing isn't good enough."

My eyes narrow. "Who's side are you on?"

She rolls over, strewing her legs over me as she hugs me. "Yours always. But you're being stupid."

"Bela I don't..."

The door knocks and I sigh.

"It's open." I call.

The door cracks and Parker walks in, running a hand through his hair. My heart beats a little faster and I glance at Bela. She's grinning from ear to ear.

Parker stops when he notices Bela.

"My bad, I didn't know you had company." he looks tired, his eyes low.

I sit up. "Are you okay?"

His eyes flick to Bela quickly before landing back on mine.

"Yeah." he sniffs. "Have fun."

He turns and walks back through the door, closing it behind him. I can't help but worry a little.

Bela sits up beside me, smiling. "You guys are cute."

"Let's go back to picking an outfit." I roll my eyes, standing up.

Bela and I spend the next hour trying on clothes. Well I do, and Bela gives me her opinion. It's tiring. But eventually, I find the fit. A black graphic hoodie, khaki green cargos and my black Nike max up-tempos.

Margot comes up and asks if Bela would like to stay for dinner, but she says her mom is expecting her home soon, and about half an hour after that she leaves.

I missed Bela so much, but the entire time after Parker came to my room all I could think about was going to make sure he was okay.

I knock twice on the door before it's pulled open and he pulls me inside.

Parker doesn't say anything, he just wraps his arms around me. And he hugs me. We stand there for no less than a minute, in dead silence. I feel his heart beating against my chest, a little faster than usual. I hug him, stroking his back softly.

I don't pull away until he does, looking down at me.

"What's wrong?" I say quietly.

He sighs. "I missed you."

I make a little catalog in my head, adding my three new favourite words.

"What's wrong Parker?" I ask again, raising an eyebrow.

He shakes his head, smiling.

"I'm just tired. And I missed you."

He had training yesterday and this morning, so it explains why.

"Are you sure?" I push.

"Shut up, Kinsley." he brings his hand to the back of my head, pulling me back in to his chest.

I smile into his shirt.

The door clicks open before we even have time to react. Mrs Ashford stands in the doorway, looking between the both of us, before a wide grin spreads across her lips.

"Dinners ready." she says simply.

Margot says nothing as she walks out, closing the door behind her.

I turn back to Parker and he smiles, shrugging.

"She knew you were in my room at Hawaii too." he says.

My eyes pop. "What?"

"As soon as she came in she asked where I hid you."

I shove him, although I'm smiling. "Why didn't you tell me."

He just laughs.

I don't know if I'm embarrassed or amused about the fact that Margot has perfect intuition, and the fact she's been able to hide it so well.

"You're an asshole." I shake my head as we leave his room, going down for dinner.

"You love me for it."