12

I PULL INTO the Ashford's drive parking my car beside the range at the very end. A few moments later I knock on the door, playing with the hem of my shirt before the door is pulled open. It's Parker. He looks at me blankly for a moment before moving aside. I don't work until tomorrow, so I'd expect confusion.

"Is your mom home?" I kick my shoes off beside the rail.

He closes the door. "In her office."

I look at him expectantly, raising my eyebrows.

"First door to the left." he elaborates.

"Thanks." I mumble, starting up the stairs.

Once I get up the stairs I knock on the door twice.

"Come in!" Mrs Ashford calls from the inside.

Pushing it open, I poke my head around the door.

Her eyebrows raise as she sees me. "Elena! Hello, I wasn't expecting you today." she spins away from her desk.

I slip through the door, closing it behind me.

"Hi Mrs Ashford." I smile. "Do you have a minute?"

"Of course," she gestures to a sofa seat on the opposite wall.

I sit down, smoothing my skirt and clearing my throat.

"I've thought about your offer." I start.

She takes her glasses off.

"I don't like when my dad worries. It makes me feel bad. So I learnt how to deal with it. Living on my own. The loneliness. Spending holidays, my birthdays by myself. But it really sucks. I hate being isolated, especially during summer."

Mrs Ashford reaches forward, taking my hand, and only then do I realise my face is wet with tears. I need to get a grip.

"I don't have any siblings, and looking after Jackson is honestly the highlight of my week."

She presses her lips together in smile, her eyes a little cloudy.

"So yes. If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to stay with you guys until college. I can pay for whatever you need, or run errands or-"

"Elena." Margot says softly. "You don't have to pay for a thing. You're part of the family."

Her words make me crumble. I put my face in my hands as I cry and I feel her wrap her arms around me. Once I gather myself I sit up, taking a breath. Margot smiles, handing me a neatly folded tissue. I bring it to my face, dabbing at my eyes.

"Sorry." I laugh, my voice a little hoarse.

"Don't be silly dear." she says. "So, would you like to make it official and bring your things over tomorrow?"

I nod, tucking my hair behind my ears.

"I'll cut a key for you today, and have Marie give it to you in the morning."

"Thank you Mrs..."

She gives me a look.

"Margot."

"It's lovely to have you as part of the family Elena."

We stand up and Margot embraces me for a moment before I let myself out. I walk down the stairs, letting out a breath. I probably look a mess.

I get in my car, pulling out of the driveway and starting home.

Once I get home, I look around. I'm not really sure what to do with myself. I'm gonna miss this house a lot, but not so much living here. I walk up the stairs, the fourth step creaking.

I begin packing. I'm not even sure what to pack. Everything? I've emptied the first three drawers of my dresser into my suitcase when my phone rings. I pick it up, forcing a smile.

"Hey Kiddo." my dad grins back at me.

"Hi Dad."

I see him look past me a little, his brows furrowing.

"Are you cleaning up?" he says, referring to my next to naked dresser.

"I'm moving out." I press my lips together.

I watch the crease between my father's brown deepen in confusion.

"What do you mean?"

"I'm moving in with the Ashfords." I repeat.

"When?" he sits up, bringing the camera a little closer.

"Tomorrow."

"Why didn't you tell me?" he almost sounds upset.

"You aren't exactly here Dad." I shrug.

"I'd still like to know where my daughter is." he says, his tone becoming stern.

"Would you? Because you only check on me once a week." I say, a little more bitterly than intended.

He raises his eyebrows.

"You know it's not my fault El. I'm busy, my job is important to me and-"

"What about me? You have a kid Dad, am I not important?" my voice wobbles as I speak.

"Don't be like that Elena. You've never had a problem with me working abroad before."

I laugh, noticing my dad's face change, which only makes me laugh harder.

"Of course I've had a problem with it. I had to raise myself Dad. 5 years, no mother, no father, no one. You could've taken me with you."

His face softens. "I didn't want you pull you out of school..."

"Bullshit!" I almost yell. "You didn't want a reminder of her."

A tear slides down his cheek.

"I don't want you living away from home Elena."

I shake my head. "I don't really care what you want. Bye Dad."

Before he gets to speak again I end the call, letting out a breath as the weight lifts from my shoulders.