30

IT'S TUESDAY AND we're in the cafeteria. I'm sandwiched between Neki and James, Parker on the other side of us. They're all talking, but I'm not really in the mood. I'm breaking off pieces of bread and rolling them in to little balls. I'm currently at 32, but I'm aiming for at least 100.

As I reach 54, I see Bela walking towards us. She has a cupcake , cupping her hand around the singular lit candle. Oh for gods sake Isabela.

"Happy birthday to you," she begins to sing as soon as she's close enough.

The boys all look around in confusion, but their eyes land on me once I push my face into my hands.

"Happy birthday dear Elena," my best friend sets the cupcake down in front of me and the flame flickers.

"Happy birthday to you!" she grins.

I force a smile, looking up at her.

"Thank you Bel." I say, before blowing out my candle.

I don't make a wish. I stopped believing in brithday wishes after my 11th birthday, when my mom didn't get better.

"It's your birthday?" Neki turns to me, eyebrows raised.

"Nah bro, Bela just sang it for vibes." James mumbles.

"Why didn't you say anything?" Parker leans forward, his eyebrows pinched from frowning.

I shrug, looking back down at my sandwich. 63 little bread balls. I'm about to make it 64 when I feel Parker's knee press against mine beneath the table. Quickly glancing over at our friends, I bring my eyes back up to his.

"You okay?" he says quietly.

"Yeah." I sigh. "Just tired."

Parker studies my face for a moment, forcing me to look down under the pressure.

"Come on guys." he stands up.

We all look at him.

"Come where?" Bela asks.

"We're going out. It's Kinsley's 18th, we aren't sitting around here."

Everyone stands up, turning to me.

I frown. "We still have 2 periods Parker."

He smiles, nodding in the direction of the door which they are all beginning to walk towards.

"Guys." I blink at the backs of their heads.

They continue to walk.

"Guys?"

They disappear behind the double doors.

I huff, pulling my backpack on and grabbing my apple juice box. I hate it here.

***

Bela laughs as Neki puts the meat straight from the hotpot in to his mouth, hoffing aggressively. James laughs at him and Parker shakes his head.

I draw a little face in the sauce on my plate with my chopstick, tracing the pattern of a heart, then a star. I take a piece of chicken between the two wooden sticks, before placing it in my mouth.

"So, Kinsley," Parker speaks, directing my attention to him. "What do you wanna do after this?"

I twist my mouth, shrugging.

As I notice Parker's face soften, I immediately feel my stomach churn. He's trying to make today fun for me and I'm being a bitch. I let out a breath.

"Maybe a bookstore?" I suggest, pushing noodles into my mouth after.

Parker smiles at me a little, nodding.