Deterioration

The standoff has continued as the first police cars arrived, the police obviously sided with the heroes here and it only got worse.

Soldier: Back the fuck up now.

Hero: Stand down

Soldier 2: Back up all of you, this facility produces explosives, if a fight breaks out people will die. There are bombs that combined equal 150 tons of TNT. We can all see why this is a bad idea.

Loudspeaker: Marshal Lemore to all security personnel, an attempt has been made to attack the facility, you are to defend it at all costs.

Soldier 3: How about this, you put your guns down and we put ours, the heroes can back up and we can get a supervisor over here.

Hero: We will not stand down for some villains. 

Officer: Alright, stand down.

The officers and soldiers lowered their weapons and watched each other. The hero did back up while some RCM agents explained the situation to the police. The police then talked down the heroes and began to leave. The heroes left looking mildly pissed off and the lead coughed for a bit. After 20 minutes of both sides expecting conflict the situation ended without violence.

1 day later:

Soldier: Are you sure you are okay? You have been coughing pretty bad recently. Might have picked something up.

Soldier 2: Nah, probably just a little flu. Nothing to worry about, I got vaccinated back home, worst case scenario I can BS my way into a day off.

Soldier: I guess you are right.

Loudspeaker: Alert, protocol 56-A has been enacted by the NOJOD, the capital is under attack. All personnel are to report.

P-56-A: Protocol for a complete recall of every NO military asset at once. Only to be used if the nation is about to collapse. In this case the capital along with 3 other cities and been attacked by Chinese military forces.(From this point forwards this story is up to date with The Other Side)

Soldier 2: Guess that day off will have to wait.

The two soldiers jogged towards the briefing area while every other soldier on base did the same thing.

Lemore: Men, the war back home has gotten worse, as of yesterday Chinese forces launched a coordinated attack on Malask, New Orderlands, Rank, and the insurgents made an attempt at taking out Goalaria. You are being deployed to the capital to get behind Chinese lines and wreak havoc. Some civies have taken up arms, they are visible by a blue armband on the left arm. Reports have stated the Chinese have executed civilians.

To sum up the conflict over the next week NO forces went back and forth in the capital before the US military threatened the capital of China and forced a peace treaty. This only happened because the Chinese were spread out across New Orderia in terrain they were not prepared for and wouldn't be back to China in a long time. The small garrison left behind in Beijing would not have been able to hold against he US. While the Fractured Dawn men where there they were allowed to do anything they wanted for 5 days. Most soldiers visited their families in this time. The soldier from the checkpoint who lived in Travult attended one of the parties he mentioned.

Location: Travult city, with DCM Task Force 4, day 2 of quarantine

DCM: Disease Containment Ministry, exists to stop spread of disease in New Orderia, joint ministry of Medical Division and the Army.

Radio: 3-Lincoln-11 to dispatch, civilians are protesting the quarantine, what are our orders?

Radio: Use whatever force is necessary to stop this thing. That crowd needs to be broken up fast though or else everyone might get infected.

Agent: Holy shit, how did this happen? An entire city effectively collapsed in three days.

Agent 2: No idea, we just need to uphold the quarantine and treat the sick. Anything you see needs to be kept on record so we can find a cure.

Agent: How bad is it?

Agent 2. Death toll is high, this virus moves fast. Local doctors have been calling it a mutant strain of the flu.

Agent 3: Flu huh? I mean, the briefing mentioned fever, pneumonia, coughing but for this many deaths from the flu is hard to believe.

Agent 2: Whatever it is has killed hundreds every day and we need to stop it.

Agent 4: We're here, damn is it bad.

The agents stepped out of the car to see lines of ambulances, medical tents, fire trucks, and various medical equipment everywhere. Doctors and paramedics are trying to treat the thousands of sick people in the hospital and were being overwhelmed by the shear numbers. As DCM units arrived the ambulances they brought lined the streets and crews went door to door giving out orders to civilians explaining what not to do.

As the four agents walked around delivering supplies they found a depressing sight. An entire section cordoned off that was being used to store the dead. The bodies had been stacked on top of one another and some DCM agents in hazmat suits were dragging the bodies into a pile where they were burned. Across the skyline smoke rose from hospitals as the dead were burned to stop further spread.

It has become apparent at this point this was much worse the title flu implied but the odd thing was flu was the only accurate term. It was very similar to the flu in almost every way with only small differences that made it hard for the human body to identify it as a problem until to late. Combined with the fact it was transmitted very quickly you had a recipe for an epidemic.

Travult city, 3 of quarantine:

Majority of the city has been exposed to the virus, still no cure. Hospitals have been overwhelmed and doctors are dying to the virus. All infected are quarantined in their own homes and any building that was exposed has tarps put over all windows. Military has replaced local police forces in upholding quarantine after the police had died to the virus. DCM still attempts to help people but it is becoming apparent that the survival rate is next to none(in total 98 people survived, all were barely alive and on respirators, they will need them for the rest of their lives.

Travult city, day 4 of quarantine:

Any resemblance of attempting to treat the sick is gone, attempting to leave the city is punishable by death. Military will shoot anyone trying to break quarantine and highway patrol cordoned off all highways leading in or out of the city. Military, DCM, and police helicopter patrol the skies and look for anyone trying to break out of the city. Fires are raging across the city and the observation tower(the highest point in the city) collapsed from the flames.

Gunfire is constant and protesters trying to make the military end the quarantine are the reason for it getting worse inside. The protests have stopped logistics entering military installations and as such supply drops of food and water into the city have not been able to occur. Power to the city went out unexpectedly due to what is believed to be a car accident. Wild animals like mountain lions roam the streets.

Patient zero: A soldier assigned to the Fractured Dawn operation, picked up this virus while deployed. Possibly exposed entire unit to the virus on accident, smaller outbreaks have been reported in other cities.