Together in Hell

So this chapter name and the inspiration for how the zombies work(with some things they are immune to not being included)is taken from Road of the Dead, a really good flash game series that is still playable for free on Newgrounds. I would 100% recommend playing it at some point. Now onto the war crimes.

Location: UA, R-3

Ventuas, Nezu, the Overseer, and Lemore stood in Nezu's office going over maps trying to coordinate a defense when a soldier ran into the room.

Soldier: Sirs, we need to start packing up. Heads are within a mile of our position.

Lemore: How did they get so close?

Soldier: Some civilians we were evacuating were infected but hid it. Entire evac site was overrun and all personnel there are presumed KIA. Reinforcements and bombers failed to contain it and are requesting a full retreat.

Ventuas: Nezu, I am sorry. Granted, get everyone out as fast as possible. Put out an alert that evacuations end in the next three hours, that is the deadline for civilians. From there drop the the Phantom class bomb, I want repeated MRBM and SRBM strikes around the infested areas. 

Nezu understood what this meant, estimates for when evacuations would be finished were a day away. Fighting had already gone on for two days and many people were evacuated. Ventuas deemed it a worthwhile sacrifice to bomb the remaining civilians.

Overseer: Lemore.

The overseer tossed Lemore a rifle before racking a shotgun. Lemore checked the chamber before slinging the rifle and putting on a gas mask. The Overseer already wore full armor but Lemore had to start putting it on. Ventuas meanwhile was putting on a vest and checking over an SMG. Two soldiers from IDTF Tau 8 entered and brought more supplies. One took a pistol out of a box and tossed it to Nezu who checked it before putting it into a holster the soldiers also tossed him.

When everyone was geared up they went for the exit. Out the window the horde was forcing it's way inside the campus, albeit with heavy resistance thanks to the UA barrier. Despite this the barrier began to fail under the force of hundreds of zombies and a breach was made. Soldiers fired at the horde as zombies approached slowly. A scream was let out and a mutated abomination ran at a helicopter, killing everyone inside before a 50 cal mounted to a tank mowed it down. The tanks fired their main guns at the horde but as they got closer the crew ditched the vehicles to get onto helicopters. 

The command group, consisting of Ventuas, Lemore, the Overseer, Nezu, and two IDTF soldiers decided to go for an LAV. The soldiers aimed their rifles out the rear side windows which had been covered with grates pre horde arrival. The Overseer climbed into the MG gunner seat and manned the 50 cal while Lemore pointed his rifle out the front windshield and window. Ventuas got into the driver seat with Nezu in the back as navigator. Ventuas hit the pedal and the LAV drove down the pathway towards an alternate entrance. While they drove they passed soldiers loading onto helicopters and evacuating, the few that didn't got into well defended convoys.

After 40 minutes of driving:

Ventuas: How big is this city?

Nezu: Rather large, UA is also decently far from your designated regroup position.

Lemore: Kind of a good thing considering the horde has to walk.

Overseer: Then why the fuck aren't we away from them?

The Overseer fired the 50 cal repeatedly at zombies in the road ahead. Lemore stopped talking and aimed his rifle before firing.

Soldier: Damn Lemore, here I though the marshal lost his touch after 2 years without a rifle.