Consequences

Location: Briling Regional Medical Center, R-1

Two paramedics entered the hospital with someone strapped to a stretcher. Behind them two more groups of paramedics followed with their own injured people strapped down. Inside the hospital was tons of people all strapped to stretchers with doctors trying to figure out what the hell happened. 

Intercom: Attention doctor Franco, please head to O-R 7.

The side effects of the chemical the insurgents had deployed were just showing up. Multiple Briling County residents had developed quirks. The result was people being brought into the ER with random mutations, fires breaking out, and random flooding. An explosion sounded through the county and the ground shook.

When the police department arrived they saw a man who was engulfed in flames standing in the center of a crater. Random blasts of flame caused the officers to point their pistols at the man and order him to stop.

Officer: BCPD! Stop or you will be fired upon!

Man: Help me! I can't stop it! What the fuck is happening?

The officers just had to watch as a man burned himself alive as the fire department arrived. The BCFD tried to use water on the man but the water would evaporate without doing anything. As firefighting efforts continued around the man screams echoed through the streets as he felt the pain of burning at thousands of degrees.

Battalion chief: 2 battalion to dispatch, requesting hazardous materials and foam units to my location. We have one male fully involved and emitting fire. Water has no effect.

Radio: Uhhh... Affirmative, ETA 10 minutes.

The chief grabbed a megaphone and yelled to the man while hoses still attempted to cool him off.

Battalion chief: This is the fire department, we are going to get you help, it will take time but remain calm. If you are able to direct the flames straight up to prevent harming my firefighters.

Man: It hurts so much! Help me please!

When hazmat and foam arrived they smothered the man and that starved the fire of oxygen. They hooked him up to an SCBA and submerged him in a large water tank to prevent the fire from rekindling somehow. They brought in doctors from the BRMC to make sure he wouldn't die in the tank. The tank was moved to the hospital and this was the moment the national government was alerted.

It was decided that whatever was going on in Briling was a problem for the DCM. A large convoy of ambulances and task force units were sent in. The Rescue Division also sent fire trucks to handle the raging fires caused by quirks. The government still didn't realize that these were quirks though and no attempt was made to get BW-212 from Fractured Dawn.

When the reinforcements arrived the agents and firefighters got out in full hazmat suits and began questioning members of the BCFD, BCPD, and hospital staff on what was happening. At BCFD station 2 a firefighter had figured out how to control his quirk.

Firefighter: I don't know what is happening but I can do this somehow.

He held up his hand and a halligan tool materialized in it. The DCM agents questioning him backed up and took a photo of the halligan. The firefighter then dropped it but before it could hit the ground it disappeared.

DCM Agent: When did these symptoms first appear?

Firefighter: Uhhh, structure fire yesterday. I couldn't get a door open and I heard people trapped and I just wished I had a halligan to force it open. Then just, poof, halligan in my hand. I can grab anything I want as far as I know. Watch this.