I'm Sorry I couldn't be there (p2 of Heather)

Hello, so quick thing. For the person who requested Paranoia, I'm doing a few different kinds for that one!! All will be published at the same time, hence the lack on content.

This is part 2 for Heather at the request of many  (this took forever and it is really short but I kept changing ym idea so I have like 10 drafts of p2 of Heather and this was the winner)

---KEITH'S POV-----

The sweat on my body rolled off as I jogged past my house for the fifth time. I couldn't bring myself inside, not even for a water break, as I knew what the teachers at Garrison were expecting.

They wanted nothing but the absolute best from me. So, I gave them my best runs until I couldn't move.

The ache in my legs gave me the adrenaline nothing else could.

"Keith? Someone from school is calling for you!" My mother shouted from the front door. I cocked my head towards her.

"What did they say their name was?" She shrugged.

"I think it was Catherine? Or was it Katelyn?" She began muttering to herself so I grabbed the home-line.

"Hello?" I say into the phone. I heard a scoff back.
"Have you heard from Lance?" The voice asked.

"Why would I hear from him?" There was a pause. "Pidge?"

"You don't know?" I felt myself get frustrated.
"Don't know what?" She sucked in a breath.

"Weren't you there? I could've sworn I heard about the crash from you." I felt my body go numb. Crash?

"Pidge, what the hell are you on about?" I growl into the mic.

Last time I heard from Lance was to ask his stupid advice on what to do with the whole "Virginity: lose it?" situation. He seemed distracted so I decided to give him his distance so he could come to one of us if he wanted.

"Keith, Lance was hit by a car two weeks ago." The phone slipped out of my hands. I heard my mother ask what happened, but all I could feel was the overpowering feel was regret.

Why did he get hit? How did it happen? Who the fuck hit him? Was he even alive anymore?

What were his last words to Lance? Were they mean? Did they hurt Lance even further?

I felt warmth envelope me and I sink into the source. Sobs racked my bod, leaving dark spots on my mother's lavender sweater.

***

Mother made me stay home the next few days. Said that I wasn't well enough to continue yet.

I checked everything for some news on Lance. Instagram, Facebook, twitter, hell I even made a Snapchat just to make sure that Lance was okay.

So far, the only thing I've gotten was that I was apparently there. That confused me even more. There could've been that chance that I was there.

But, I think I would have remembered being there to see my best friend get slammed into by a fucking car.

Tick
Tock
Tick
Tock

A groan escaped my throat. This was actual torture.

I slap myself across the face.

Lance was okay. Lance wasn't dead.

Lance was the third strongest person he knew. Shiro and his Mother topping Lance, but not by much.

Lance knew everything yet he would let anyone take his place if that meant that they would be fine.

I wish I could take his place for him.

***

Days went by and there was radio silence from everyone. I was going insane, the lack of news about Lance and memorizing every mark on my wall wasn't the best combo.

I decided to go on a walk. To calm my nerves and clear my head.

When I hit the park my phone rang. I pull it out as fast as I could and saw Shiro's contact name.

"Hello?" I suck in a breath.
"Keith, I regret to tell you this but," my heart dropped.

"Lance McClain was reported dead at 7:32 PM yesterday."