023

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

YURI

"I know it's your birthday and all but I don't think it's justifiable that you're making me do all this things." Sunwoo scoffs, handing her the paper bag of things she asked him to get from her apartment.

Yuri chuckled. "Consider this as your payment from all the times I saved you from embarrassing yourself in our recitations." Her eyebrow arched when he gave her another small paper bag. "What is that?"

"I passed by Jay in your apartment. He wanted me to give you that." He explains, sitting next to her in the couch. "Aren't you going to talk to him? Almost two weeks has passed since you guys stopped talking."

She checked the inside of the paper bag and saw an expensive perfume along with a note. Grabbing the note, she opened it and began to read the contents it contained.

happy birthday <3

i hope you're doing fine and not giving yourself a hard time. don't strain yourself and enjoy this summer break. i won't stop attempting to fix us, so when you're ready, text me, and let's meet where the stars are the brightest. where we both first saw the face hiding behind our masks.

ps. don't shatter the perfume if u hate me. that's expensive thanks.

Where the stars are the brightest. She immediately knew what place he pertained to. Jay made it even harder for her to avoid him. She couldn't word just how much she wanted to run to him and tell him everything she felt but Seohee always had her eyes on Yuri. The girl never stopped reminding her about the proof she holds.

She smiles when she reads the last line. She would never shatter his gift, especially since she knows how expensive it was. "I want to talk to him but I can't." She says, smiling sadly.

"He told me his friend saw you arguing with someone in a restaurant." Her eyes widened. "Who were you arguing with?"

Yuri gazed down at her feet, pondering if she should tell Sunwoo about Seohee blackmailing her. But she was afraid he would rush to Seohee and tell her off for blackmailing his best friend. She doesn't want to anger Seohee, especially since she had something she could use against Yuri.

She sighed. "What I'm about to tell you should stay between the two of us, okay? Don't do anything rash please." She pleaded and he nods, agreeing to her terms. And then she explained to him what happened that day.

Sunwoo immediately stands up out of anger. "How dare she do that to you?! Is she seriously that pathetic?" He rants. "Yuri, don't let her blackmail you like this."

"I have no choice, it's my scholarship on the line. What would my parents say after they find out? I-I can't risk it." She admits, pulling her hair again as she puts her head down.

"Why don't you explain to Jay? I'm sure he'll understand why you have been avoiding him so much. He's still under the impression you hate him because of what he said." He says, rubbing her back to comfort her.

She shook her head. "Too risky."

The door swung open which made Yuri fix her stance and pretend as if she has been okay all along. Her parents entered their home with a box of cake in their hands and a bunch of ingredients since Yuri requested for homemade food. Sunwoo stood up to bow to her parents.

"Ah I didn't know you were here already Sunwoo!" Her mother smiled at him. "Yuri, is he the only friend of yours that's joining us for dinner?" She asked but Yuri knew already she was asking if Jay was coming.