It's Official Now

Scorpius's POV

     I watched quietly as Rose slept tucked neatly under my arms. I adjusted her slightly, making sure to be as gentle as I could. Her hair tickled my neck.

     Running a hand through my hair I wondered what Charles was doing. If what Rose said was true, and Charles had asked Lily out, why hadn't he told him about it? Was he angry for some reason?

     I sighed, staring up at the stars. The night air was slightly chilly, breezing through my sleeves. 

     Rose's words wandered into my mind—I couldn't push them away. Couldn't keep her outrageous, adorable little voice from repeating those words. They made me giddy.

     "Do you want to be my boyfriend?"

     It never really had been official. An impossible smile ghosting at the corners of my lips, I lightly stroked back rough strands of curly ginger hair from her face. The wind brushed it slightly. 

     She stirred.

     "Hey," she croaked. Voice: hoarse, but, sober. A tiny grin bloomed across her face when she realised how we were sitting. "Uh... how long was I out for?"

     "About an hour. But hey, at least you're sounding sober again."

     She paused briefly as she registered my words, expression cloudy. And then her eyes widened and she turned slowly to face me.

     "Was I drunk?"

     "Yup."

     "Really?"

     "Yup."

      She blinked hard a few times, as if trying to remember what she had said or done. To be completely and totally honest, it is probably best if she never found out.

     "What did I say?"

     "Well, you asked if I wanted to be your boyfriend."

     "I did?"

     "Yup."

     She laughed, "That's probably the best of it."

     "At least now we can make it official."

     "Make what official?"

     Before I could overthink it, I reached for her pale hand lying quietly in her lap. I threaded my fingers into hers, the cool touch of her skin sending a musical of goosebumps up the inside of my wrist. I interlaced our fingers.

     I whispered, Us."

     She grinned goofily up at me. Was she still drunk? Unlikely... as odd and embarrassing as she was as a drunk, she was still rather cute. Actually, she's always cute.

     As she reclined her head gently back onto my shoulder, into the crook of my neck she asked, "Where did you get your costume?"

    "This one?"

     "Yeah. I mean, I'm pretty sure they don't sell death eater suits at Hogsmeade."

     I laughed.

     "But really. Where'd you get it?"

     I thought for a moment if I should tell her. Would it be dangerous? I decided not.

    "It's not a costume."

     "Fine, call it whatever you want, but I think —"
     "I mean," I said, cutting her off. "It's real. It's the same suit my Dad was wearing fighting the War. When he was still death eater."

     "... Oh."

     Silence fell.

     I glanced at Rose and saw she was uncertain. 

     I chuckled, "I'm not sensitive about it."

     "Are you sure?"

     "Trust me, people ask questions all the time."

     "Like what?"
     "'Is your Dad strict?' 'Does your Dad talk about the War?' 'Does he still have the Dark Mark?'"

     "Whoa," she exclaimed, and I caught her look of uneasiness. "Those are deep questions."

     "We don't have to talk about it if it makes you uncomfortable."

     "No, it's fine. I can take it."

     I smirked, "Mm hm."

     "Oh, shut up!" She slapped my arm and I laughed. "When did you get the suit?"

     "I owled my Dad a few days ago, asking for a Halloween costume. And ta-da!" I flourished. "He was too lazy to buy me anything so he stripped his closet and found this old thing!"

     She laughed, "You're the lazy one."

    "And how's that?"

     "You asked your Dad to buy you a costume when you could've just gone to Hogsmeade and bought one yourself."

     I thought for a moment, realizing she was right.

     "Whatever."

     She laughed again, and this time I joined in.

     When our laughter died out, I stood up, "Come on, people will be looking for us."

     I turned to Rose, who raised her hands for me to pull her up.

     I took them, hauling her to her feet.

     We started down to the pitch when something move across the sky. I looked up and saw a thick black cloud. It was small, with sparks of green striking through.

     I stopped in my tracks, "What's that?"

     "What's what?"

     "That," I pointed.

     Rose looked at where my finger was pointing and turned to back to me, "It's a cloud."

     "No, it's not."

     "Scorpius —"

     "It's moving."

"Clouds move."

     The black cloud continued to spark, drawing closer and moving faster. From the corner of my eye I saw Rose's eyes grow wide in alarm.

     "Okay," she said. "Let's not jump to conclusions —"

     "Come on!" I grabbed her hand and started running as fast as I could into the school.

     "Wait, Scorpius! Where are we going?"

     "Where do you think?!"