Out Of Reach

Scorpius's POV
I entered the dorm to find Charles sitting aimlessly on his bed.
"You scared me, man!" I yelled. "Where the hell have you been?"
He didn't answer.
"McGonagall just said one hell of a speech. Apparently Hogwarts isn't safe anymore."
He still didn't answer.
"The Hogwarts Express arrives at 10:00. Just so you know we're supposed to be packing ..."
He continued to stare blankly at the wall, showing no sign that he had even heard me.
I frowned. What's wrong with him? Has he been hexed? A spell, maybe?
"Abigail's looking for you."
"Tell her not now, okay? In fact, NOT EVER!!!!!!"
"So you're not deaf after all. Now would you care to explain why you're acting like this? I mean, we do only have ten minutes before the train comes, but ..."
"They took her. They took Lily."
Silence.
"She was right there, in front of me. And they took her. Of course, they had to crucio me a bit, but -"
"You got crucioed?!" I exclaimed in shock.
"A few times. I bet not as many times as they will to her!!" He slammed his fist against the chest next to him, not seeming to feel the least bit of pain from it.
"I'm sorry, man," I said, and I was. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I had known they had taken Rose.
When he didn't answer, I walked towards my bed and started packing.
Once I was finished, I turned back to Charles and for the first time noticed a wand in his hand. I frowned, "What's that?"
"It's Lily's."
"No, it's not. That's Rose's wand."
"Lily was using it -"
"Yeah, but that belongs to Rose!"
Dumping my trunk back onto my bed, I strode over and snatched the wand out of Charles's hands.
"Dude!!"
"See? Look here," I traced a finger over the carved in initials R. W. "That's Rose's initials."
"Fine!!" Charles flailed his arms. "Give it back to your precious Rose! Like I care whose wand it is ..."
He stomped out of the room, slamming the door shut behind him.
Silence.
I groaned, "Charles -"
The door swung open. Karl strolled through the doorway, humming a cheerful tune. When he saw me, he started, "Oh, hi Scor. Nice day, isn't it?"
"It's night," I said, giving him a strange look.
"Oh, really? Huh. That was quick. Do you know what happened to Charles? Seemed pissed off about something ..."
I stared at him.
"What?"
"You do know that death eaters just attacked this school, right?"
"And took Abigail with them!!!" He hooted, hands cupped over his mouth. "Thank you death eaters!!"
"Shut up!" I hissed. "If Charles heard you, I bet 500 galleons he would break your neck."
"Why?"
I opened my mouth to tell him when a thought crossed my mind. Would Charles want him to know? I decided not.
"That's for you to find out."
He shrugged, "Whatever. I would be too happy to care!!!" He did a little spin before leaping onto his bed. "OH, HALLELUJAH!!!! NOW WE'LL NEVER SEE THAT LITTLE -"
"Careful," I chuckled.
"- AGAIN!!!!" He fell splat on his face into the mattress, making me roll my eyes.
A sharp rap on the door drew both our heads, "Are you lads in there?" Slughorn called. "The train will be here in a few minutes. I suggest you finish packing now and then head downstairs."
We heard the thud of footsteps and then silence.
"The old twit," Karl sneered. "He hasn't left the common room since the attack."
I snorted, "And you would want him to?" I picked up my trunk. "Come on, are you packed?"
"Yup," he raised an already locked in trunk. "What about Charles? He's not ready yet."
Turning, I realized he was right. Charles's trunk lay sprawled on his bed, his pajamas and clothes still stuffed in his chest.
     What should I do? I thought for a while. After a long moment of hesitation, I sighed. Heaving my trunk, I tossed it towards Karl, who stumbled before receiving it.
"Hey!!"
"Do me a favor and take my trunk down with you. I'll meet you in the train."
He frowned, "What are you doing?"
"I'm gonna help Charles pack," I answered, gesturing to the unmade bed. "Now, shoo! The train is leaving soon."
Karl's grumbles filled the room as he shuffled through the doorway with the two trunks. Then it was silent.
Looking down I realized I still had Rose's wand. She wouldn't mind, I thought.
Pointing the wand, I did a non-verbal spell that gathered all of Charles's things and folded them neatly inside his trunk.
I smirked.
     What would you do without me?