Almost Kiss

Rose's POV

I leaned against the back of my chair, my fingers drumming the table.  Where is he? It was almost 6:55 and we had a Transfiguration essay to write.  If he fails this, he fails this.  But he's NOT bringing me down with him!

So I started to write.

When it was 6:59, the Library door opened, "Hello?" A familiar voice called. "Weasley?"

"Over here," I called back, before looking back down at my parchment as I wrote.  Footsteps got louder and I sensed a figure across the table.

"What are you writing?" He asked, but his eyes were roaming the quiet bookshelves around him.

"Our Transfiguration essay," I answered, still not looking at him. "If you didn't show up, at least I would have three paragraphs."

"Wow.  What an amazing tutor you are," Scorpius said sarcastically, rounding the table so he could take a seat next to me.

I looked up and was about to make a snappy comment but I stopped and stared at him.  His usually wavy blonde hair hung straight and a bit over his blue eyes.  It looked a little damp and was dropping slightly, but that didn't effect how he looked.  In fact ... he looked a little cuter, of that was possible.

I found my cheeks growing red at the silent comment I'd made to myself.  Scorpius stared at me, "Why are you blushing?"

"I'm not blushing," I denied, looking away.  Changing the subject before he could protest, I quickly asked, "Why is your hair wet?"

What a stupid question.

His pinned me with a strange look, "I went Scuba diving in the Black Lake.  What do you think?" He asked, making small gestures.

I sighed, "Never mind. Forget I asked that." Shut up. "Just write the essay, okay?"

He sat down.

We started to work.  Well, he started, I continued.  But Scorpius kept getting distracted, his eyes either scanning our surroundings or his wand levitating his parchment.

I glowered at him for the eight time that night, "Scorpius!" I snapped my fingers in front of his face. "Will you at least pretend to concentrate on the bloody assignment?"

His head snapped in my direction, "What did you say?" There was surprise on his face.

I huffed, "I said —"

"No — before that.  You called me Scorpius."

I was about to suggest he get those ears of his checked into St. Mungo's, but I froze when I realized he was right.

"Well ..." I turned away from his gaze, looking everywhere but at him. "That's your name, isn't it?"

He just shook his head in disbelief before turning back to the essay, "We have one more paragraph left.  But we've used all our options."

"The last paragraph isn't an option, silly," I said. "It's the conclusion." Then I grabbed my quill, scanning it across the last five lines so fast Scorpius didn't even have time to respond when I put my quill down.

I smiled proudly, "Finished," I turned to him. "You?"

His jaw dropped, "Of course I'm not finished!"

"Well.  Bye," I said, and grabbed my assignment faster than a horse, almost off the edge of my seat when Scorpius snatched my essay out of my hands.