Once Upon A Nightmare

Scorpius's POV

*

     I ran through the narrow corridors, the thumping of my heart levelling with the pounding of my feet.  Sweat slipped from the sleeves of the black cloak and the silver mask was practically digging into my face.

     I gasped for air, stopping to lean against one of the cold stone walls.

     "Scorpius."

     There it was again.  Rose's echoing voice that kept sounding more weak by the second.

     I straightened from the wall, my gaze darting around before I ducked into ones of the corridors and started running at a faster pace, feet moving in a rhythmic pattern.

"Scorpius, help," the voice was still soft, almost like a silent plea.

"Rose," I heard the panic in my own voice, feeling the adrenaline in my legs move even faster.

The corridor opened up into two more, but I didn't hesitate to slip into the right one, my steady rhythm never breaking.

"Scorpius."

The echo in her voice seemed to get fainter and I struggled to keep up my pace.

     I ducked into another corridor, left, and another one, right.  And then a left and a right and another right.  I didn't think twice about which way, it was like I already knew.  Like I'd been here a thousand times already and I was just revising an old textbook.

     "Scorpius, help me!!" She screamed, suddenly panicked.

     "Where are you?!!" I yelled back, my feet now moving so fast I didn't feel it.

     And then they stopped.

     My breathing was quick and still ragged as I stared wide-eyed at the old black doors in front of me.  A silver snake curled between them.

     I was still shaking as I slowly grabbed my wand out of my pocket and raised it towards the doors.

     The words flowed like a song.

     "Morto Manganto."

There was a loud click as the snake unraveled and I realised it was two snakes, shaped into curling handles.

The doors swung open and I caught my breath when I saw who was inside.

Draco stood, two legs wide apart with his wand pointed straight at the limp corpse dangling from his hand. The corpse with cascading red hair and glassed over brown eyes.

"STOP!"

*

$$$

I jolted up in my seat, eyes snapping open as a yell escaped my lips.

I blinked.

It took me a moment to realise I was sitting in my bed, in my room, in my house. A cold gush of wind flowed from the window next to me, slipping relaxing chill over the left side of my face.

I was still gasping for air as the thought popped into my mind.

It was a dream. It was just a dream.

A relieved laugh escaped my lips as I collapsed back onto my pillow, feeling the cold London air breeze over me.

My back was aligned with sweat and my hair stuck to forehead. I closed my eyes once more, wiping my forehead with the back of my forearm in an attempt to lessen the sweat.