Dear Lily

Scorpius's POV

     "What Halloween party?"

     "The one thrown by that Hufflepuff girl," Charles said. "You didn't hear?"

I shook my head, "Hang on. Did you say everyone's invited? Well, what kind of party is that? It'll be very hectic."

"The worst part is, it's only two days from now. I had to rush to get my costume last night. But Hogsmeade wasn't crowded, anyways."

I stared at him, "Wow... you're really going?"

"You're not?"

"Of course not," I said, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. "It's a costume party."

Charles cocked an eyebrow. Not so much offended, he appeared to be confused and bewildered, "Yeah, so?"

"We're not four years old!"

He gasped dramatically, "But you can bring a date!"

I stopped momentarily at this odd comment. One that had never before perked my fancy. A date? Fine. There were any number of girls who I assumed wouldn't mind accompanying me to such an event. I had never really bought into the idea of bringing a date—more like a trophy—to an event like this.

     But now...

"I bet Weasley would want you to go." Charles mights as well have casted a mind-reading spell. He wiggled his eyebrows suggestively.

     I frowned deeply.

"I can't go."

"Why not!" His volume almost knocked me off my bed.

I recovered from the blast, "Because!" I yelled back. "I have an Astronomy essay that I need to hand in this Friday, and I haven't even started. I won't have the time to buy a costume by then."

That wasn't the real reason and Charles knew it. But he didn't know why, and I didn't intend to tell him.

"Then let's go now," He gave me a look.

I sighed, "Fine. But first, I have to ask Rose."

     "Fine—I have somewhere to be now anyways."

Please say no, please say no.

$$$

"That sounds like so much fun," Rose was grinning so wide—her chocolate eyes glowing, cheeks flushed in the autumn air which clung to our skin like peachy dew. It looked radiant on her. I had to take a moment to actually register what she said.

I stared at her, dumbfounded, "You actually want to go?"

"Why not? Let's have some fun for a change. Being a teenager is so tiring and boring sometimes.

"But..." I looked around for an excuse.

For a long moment, I really found none. Nothing appeared to me. I had no excuse.

     I felt her studying me out of the corner of my eye, and eventually she seemed to catch on to my own feelings on the matter. Her expression noticeably fell, "You don't want to go, do you?"

"I don't have time," I said lamely.

"Everyone else has time," she argued in an accusing tone. Disappointment welled in her eyes and for some reason I felt really, really shitty.