Chapter twenty

Somebody has been to Bella's house. Jazz, Em, and I tracked the scent. 

"It disappeared about five miles south of Bella's house." Jazz said as we entered the living room. A family meeting was in progress. Jazz draped an arm over my shoulders and held me close knowing I was worried for Bella. I have the best brother. He always knew when I was scared even when I shielded myself.

"Someone's orchestrating this," Carlisle said.

"Victoria?" Bella questioned.

"I would've seen her decide," Alice told her.

"The Volturi?" Ed suggested.

"I don't think it's the Volturi either. I've been watching Aro's decisions too."

"So we keep looking," Em said.

"We'll also take shifts guarding Bella at her house," Carlisle told us.

"Another protection detail," Rose questioned, clearly not liking the idea.

"Rosalie." Carlisle and I warned.

"She's right. You can't protect me, watch my dad, and look for the intruder." Bella said.

"And for Victoria," Rose added.

"And keep yourselves fed." Bella finished.

"I'm not leaving you here defenseless," Edward told Bella.

"I wouldn't be defenseless. I have...." Bella said trailing off.

"What?" Ed asked.

~

We teamed up with the wolves. When Bella announced it she had me call and asked the wolf pack the next morning. Bella said I should ask since they all like me without even knowing me. I'm gonna be honest... I'm quite proud they like me. I called a man named Sam. After a minute of talking he agreed to help us protect Bella from Victoria.

~

I just finished hunting, so I decided to help the wolves guard Bella

I just finished hunting, so I decided to help the wolves guard Bella. I went closer and blocked my scent. As I got on the block I whisper talked knowing they could hear me.

"My name is Alexis Cullen. I mean you no harm. I'm here to help protect Bella. When I can see you nod or shake your head to say if I'm allowed to come and help. Once again, I mean you no harm." I said in a calm voice.

Once I got to Bella's yard off the side of the house I could see a big black wolf nod its head.  Forget being a vampire, I want to turn into a giant puppy.

"Thank you," I said as I walked slowly toward the wolf, which I noticed was a boy. We got into the trees and I saw two other wolves. The black wolf turned toward me and held up a paw as to say 'hold on'. He turned and went into the trees.

I turned toward the other wolves.

"Hello, nice to meet you," I said waving to the wolves. They were at a minimum, a foot taller than me. They nodded their heads at me.

A man came out of the woods wearing only shorts, he was very tall. I think he's taller than Em.

He came closer to me and stood about a foot in front of me.

"Well, I feel really really short right now," I said. The man and the wolves chuckled. 

"Well, you are really short." He said. I glared at him.

"What? You're like 4 foot 5?."

"Correction, I'm 4'9," I told him.

"Wow, I've got over a foot and half on you." I frowned. I'm really hating being short right now. (I'm 5'3 and I always feel short but Alex really is short)

"I knew you were there. Let me guess. 6 feet 5 and 1/2 inches." His jaw dropped and so did the wolves.

"How did you know my exact height?"

"I'm a doctor, I'm really good at guessing at anything that has to do with the body."

"I thought the only Cullen doctor was a dude?"

"Are you saying a girl can't be a doctor?"

"N-no! Of course not! I gir-woman can be anything she wants to be. She can be a-" He started stumbling, I interrupted him with quiet laughter.

"I'm only joking. Carlisle is the main doctor, but I'm fully certified as a doctor." He nods.

"So what are you doing here?"

"I'll tell you if you tell me your name."

"It's Sam."

"I finished hunting so I decided to come help protect Bella. So you're the Alpha? Who's your Beta is he here?"

"He is. Why do you need him?"

"I just need to ask him something." He paused a moment before leading me to a wolf.

"This is Jared." I nodded before looking up at the wolf.

"Hello, Jared. I wanted to ask you a question. Can you make sure Sam isn't overworking himself? I know the Alphas usually participate in these things the most and I know they will end up working themselves to exhaustion. Which as a doctor, I can't allow. I know Alphas's words are final and he'll protest but please try to protest back. I notice a tan line on his left ring finger which means he's engaged or married. Try to make sure he spends time with her and gets some sleep. Can you do that for me?" I asked Jared. He just stared at me for a minute before nodding.

"Thank you." I turned back to Sam, I could see the gears working in his mind.

"What?"

"How do you know so much about wolves?" I walked past him and stepped into the light of the porch light. I lifted up my shirt to just under my bra. Three claw marks were visible. They were white with black venom on the sides, in an attempt to heal the scratch marks.

"How did you get those?" He asked, clearly concerned.

"I was traveling through Asia when I was attacked by an actual werewolf pack. I fought them off as best I could but it was hard. That was until another werewolf pack came to my help. They helped me deal with the werewolves. In turn, we became friends. They told me all about werewolves and shape-sifters. Please don't ever tell or think about it again. Yes, I know you hear each other's thoughts. I can't have a word getting back to my brothers. They don't know I'm friends with werewolves and they would freak."

Sam nodded before turning to the wolves.

"Paul, Jared. No talking about it." He said in an alpha tone. They both nodded.

"Wow, I've never heard the alpha tone in use."

"So why doesn't your venom just heal the claw marks?"

"Werewolf, and maybe shape-shifters, are the only things that can harm a vampire other than another vampire. When a werewolf bites or scratches a vampire it's forever there. No venom can heal it. But I don't mind it. I like to think of them as battle scars."

Sam, Paul, and Jared laughed.

After that, Sam changed back into wolf form. When he was done we guarded Bella's house till she woke up.

Alex bonded with some of the wolves! Do you think she'll be friends with all the wolves?