Guys and Dolls

"Dude, your parents are gone, and we have the run of the house. Well, except for your sister and Sarah, your babysitter." Benny ran into the room.

Ethan rolled his eyes next to me. "Do you have any idea what this means?" Benny asked in disbelief.

"Does it rhyme with 'gideo vames'?" Ethan asked sarcastically.

"Almost. Knights of Ninjutsu IV!" Benny pumped his fist.

"Wick!" Ethan said energetically.

"I had to wait five hours in line for this puppy, and I had to pee the entire time!" Benny added.

Ethan stood up and snatched the game out of Benny's hands. I rolled my eyes, smiling at their eagerness.

"Well, it's going to be worth every bit of kidney damage," Ethan breathed. "Wait, why do we need the run of the house for this?"

"You know, so we can... yell and stuff," Benny explained.

I snorted. "You yell in here all the time," I reasoned.

"My Mom is constantly telling-"

"Do you want to play the game or not?" Benny cut Ethan off.

There was a moment of silence before they rushed over to the other side of the room, turning on the gaming console. I trudged over to them, picking up a controller and sitting next to Benny.

~~~

"No!" Ethan whined a few minutes later.

"Benny, don't," I said as he flipped through the spell book.

"It's not fair. I can't believe we burned out the processor now. Wait... I think if I can jump these cables, we can get it working," Ethan thought out loud.

"Or, we could just use a minor reparation spell." Benny pouted. "I've read about it and practiced it! It says it can fix anything!"

"Booyah! We're back in business," Ethan said triumphantly.

"Sword chopping business," Benny added to Ethan's statement.

"Ethan! You're gonna want to see this!" Sarah called.

I rushed off of Ethan's bed and into Jane's room, where Sarah was. My eyes widened as I examined the room. Benny's spell book was open on Jane's bed, and a live Debby Dazzle was holding Jane's hand.

~~~

"What the heck is that?" Ethan hissed.

"That is a life-sized Debby Dazzle. I think I had a dream about this once," Benny said as I gave him a weird look.

"Jane, can I talk to you for a minute?" Ethan said as I slowly slipped the spell book out of her hands. "Jane, how did this happen?"

"She had a broken leg, so I used Benny's fix-it spell, and now, well, she's alive!" Jane explained with a smile.

"Let's have ice cream and go to a roller disco dance party," Debby suggested as she turned to us.

"Yay!" Jane said cheerfully.

"I'm in!" Benny agreed.

"No parties. We need to turn her back into a doll," Ethan sighed.

"No. I don't want to go back. It's so boring, I want to have fun. I won't go back, I won't!" Debby insisted.

"Don't worry, Debby. I won't let them change you back. I promise," Jane assured her, tugging on her arm.

"Oh, goodie! Let's celebrate. Cupcake dance party!" Debby decided.