Sixteen Years Later

"So tired," I groaned as I slipped off my heels.

My husband was already home, listening intently for the kids' cries as he watched the TV quietly. He looked up at me when I spoke. He knew immediately what I wanted and held out his arms. I practically collapsed into them.

"How are the kids?" I asked.

"Miles is sleeping, like a normal six-year-old, and Maria is being an eight-year-old and playing with her dolls," Benny explained.

I hummed, laying my head on his chest. I closed my eyes, listening intently to the TV. "When did we get so lucky?"

"Since I met you twenty-seven years ago," Benny said, kissing the top of my head. "But even if that didn't happen, I would've fallen in love with you the second I laid my eyes on you when we were sixteen."

"You mean when you saw me playing with my lightsaber?" I said, smiling at the memory.

"Especially that, because you're hot when you do that," Benny teased, making me blush.

Benny and I got married ten years ago. He chose an age where we were ready to start a family and a life together. Sure, we were already living together after we graduated high school, and dating, but we wanted to wait. We got married when we were twenty-two. I already had a successful job as a fashion designer, while Benny worked with video game designing.

"I love you so much," Benny mumbled.

"I love you too, nerd," I teased.

"I am not a nerd. I am a geek," Benny said, sounding like he was insulted.

"Same thing," I mumbled, falling asleep on the couch.

I woke up hours later to Benny talking on the phone. He smiled, noticing I was awake, but continued to talk on the phone. I smacked his hand away from my thigh when he started rubbing the side of it.

He put the phone on mute and on speaker. I smiled when Ethan was explaining a new design for a game. They worked together at the same company. Sarah, his wife, worked in a center for fledgings to help get used to their new selves.

Benny's hand delicately traced shapes on my left hip. I rolled my eyes, smiling. He unmuted every so often to answer Ethan, but then quickly muted again.

Maria walked into the room without a word. She crawled on top of Benny, deciding that she was going to nap there. I kissed her forehead, making her smile. Benny kissed me quickly before unmuting to answer.

"Benny, are you listening?" Ethan asked.

"Of course, dude. You were explaining how to code it," Benny assured him.

"Hi, Uncle!" Maria said, making Benny groan.

"Hi, Maria!" Ethan said, a smile in his tone. "What's going on?"

"Mom's sleeping next to Dad," Maria said with a shrug. "I'm crushing him."

"Hi, (Y/n)," Ethan said.

"Hey, E," I said tiredly.

"Rough day, huh?" Ethan asked as I heard the faint clicking of typing.

"One woman complained that we didn't have a certain item, even though our brand has never made it. A man complained that his old-fashioned suit helped his marriage, on and on. But I love my job," I explained.

"Today, we had a guy come in and demand we make this game to impress his girlfriend. How does that sound for desperate?" Ethan said, making me smile.

"Why did I need that?" I asked quietly.

"Because Benny was the same way with his magic," Ethan said.

"I was not!" Benny argued.

"You made a horse-drawn carriage for our first date," I deadpanned.

Benny grumbled. "Okay, maybe just a little."

Ethan chuckled. "I'll talk to you later, man."

"Hi, Sarah!" I said, noticing the small noises in the background.

"Hey, (Y/n)," Sarah replied. "Can you say hi to Auntie, Nina?"

"Hi Auntie!" Nina called with her high-pitched voice.

"Nina!" Maria said happily.

"We're definitely coming over there this weekend," Benny sighed.

"I count on it. See you later, man," Ethan said.

"See ya," Benny said before hanging up. He looked at the clock. "Oh, Maria, bedtime."

Maria pouted, but didn't complain. She walked to her room without a word. I could hear her humming a song from one cartoon she watched.

"I get you to myself now." Benny smirked, trailing kisses down my neck.

"Not after what you did while we were on a call. With your best friend," I emphasized, carefully pulling him away.

"Come on, (Y/n). I was teasing. Please?" Benny begged.

"I don't really want to right now," I admitted.

"Then that's perfectly fine, my princess."