Say You'll Be Maztak

"What's going on in there?" I asked as Ethan opened the door.

"Who's the fashion-fail in the muumuu?" Erica added.

"I know, right? Ms. Lucia is subbing for Mr. G. She's so nice," Ethan gushed with a bright smile.

"Right," Sarah drawled.

"Anyway, do you still have any of those little wooden-stake darts?" Erica asked.

"You mean pencils? Yeah, why?" Ethan questioned.

"Some vampire jerk stood her up. She wants to make a point, but I-" Sarah was interrupted by Ms. Lucia slamming her hand on the door.

"All warriors must get to work. The hour of judgement approaches," Ms. Lucia said weirdly.

"Uh, so, where are the girl warriors?" Sarah asked.

"Banished. Maidens have no use but to serve their queen when the hour is at hand," Lucia said and closed the door.

I scoffed at her in disbelief as we turned around.

"Well, that was weird," Sarah commented.

"Makes me want to turn that sub into a sandwich." Erica walked away.

~~~

"You girls have any bloodstone?" Benny turned around, facing us. "It sounds vampire-y."

"All outta bloodstone. But I can make your head bleed on a rock," Erica offered.

"I might have some in my crystals somewhere," I said, walking over to Benny and reading the list over his shoulder. "So our freaky sub gave us freaky homework?"

"And you're not freaked?" Sarah questioned.

"Hot teacher, frozen brain. Done," Erica stated.

"My brain is not frozen. I just-" Lucia walked by and Ethan looked at his list. "Have to find frog hearts. Yeah," he walked away.

"Something's up with your boyfriend," Sarah whispered.

"Baby?" I walked up to Benny, putting on the high, innocent tone. "Benny?"

"Is something wrong, doll?" Benny grinned.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing, but I have to find frog hearts with Ethan." Benny frowned. "For the princess."

"I thought Lucia was a queen, as Ethan put it," I said, cupping his cheek.

"Lucia is a princess. You're my queen," Benny said, kissing me softly. "I love you."

"I love you too," I said, walking over to the girls.

"What did you stare at that made your eyes that wide?" Sarah smiled.

"Nothing." I grinned foolishly. "But there's definitely something up."

~~~

"Jane, is Ethan here?" Sarah and I walked onto his front porch.

"Yeah, but he's acting kinda insane. Even for him," Jane explained.

"Let's go see," I motioned to her.

We walked inside the house and climbed the stairs.

"Lucia demands gold!" Ethan said insanely.

"What's a Lucia?" Jane asked, concerned.

"Gold for my queen!" Ethan ran out of his room.

I walked over to the jewelry, putting it back in its proper place. Mrs. Morgan wouldn't be happy if she found it like this.