Flushed

"Nice look, guys." Rory approached the boys.

The water had gone out at the house before we went to school. I took mine at four, so it didn't affect me. But, the boys had similar schedules, so they both got affected. And by affected, I mean their hair is still wet.

"The shower cut out right before we could rinse. Our whole street lost water pressure," Ethan explained.

"You two are a mess." I kissed Benny's cheek. I then casted a spell to fix their hair. "But, thankfully, you have me."

~~~

"Noodles. Cheap, easy noodles. Learning to boil noodles is good because some of you will be living alone for a long time," Mrs. Oppenheimer walked around. "And the rest of you who can handle knives without cutting your fingers off will be chopping celery." She glanced at me. "Begin."

I started chopping celery easily, cutting them into sticks. Mrs. Oppenheimer examined me. She walked past me, but I saw a bit of a smile. It was easy because I helped Gramme in the kitchen.

"Gentlemen!" Mrs. Oppenheimer sing-songed, making me snap my head up at Benny and Ethan. "Don't make me come over there. I am not as sweet as I used to be."

"Sorry, Mrs. Oppenheimer," the boys said.

After a few moments of going back to cutting, I heard Benny half yelp, half scream. Ethan and Benny got up from the floor and pinned their backs against the counter.

"I weep for the future of the human race." Mrs. Oppenheimer shook her head at them.

~~~

"How did it make that hole in the sink?" Ethan asked as I walked up to them.

"Let me guess. Something was in the cabinet? It was probably just a mouse," I reasoned.

"No, it had scales," Ethan argued.

I paused. "Okay, now I'm curious."

"Whatever it was, it wasn't friendly," Ethan sighed. "We need you and Sarah."

~~~

"You scared me!" Sarah said as I caught her from tripping. "We need to talk." She straightened herself.

"No, we need to talk," Benny retorted.

"Benny, we're the same we," Ethan said.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Something terrible just happened to Kate in the bathroom. It's like something evil just-"

"Came up through the pipes?" Ethan finished. "I think whatever it was came to the home-ec room looking for dessert."

The bell rang. "I found this, instead of Kate." She held up a tooth.

"We need to go where the pipes go," I said determinedly.

~~~

"Maybe there's a reason the basement's off-limits," Benny said nervously.

We heard a loud bang, and I bared my fangs. The lights flickered, and I reached into my backpack, pulling out a flashlight.

"I don't like this," Sarah commented.

"Come on," I said, gaining my confidence back. "I've been down here to feed."

"Sure, dying young could be fun," Benny said sarcastically.

"We'll just take a look," I assured them.

"That's what they always say in scary movies before they get eaten alive!" Benny growled.