Fanged and Furious

"Let me get this straight. A car has a ghoul in the backseat?" I asked as we walked into school.

"And controlled the car to make it hurt Malcolm," Ethan added, sighing afterward.

Benny caught up with us. "Do you think anyone's going to blame me for what happened with Malcolm yesterday?" Ethan asked as people scurried out of our way.

"Could be," Benny said awkwardly.

"Nice. Yet another reason for girls to avoid you," Erica deadpanned.

"Sorry about yesterday," Ethan apologized to Sarah.

"Relax. Everyone has accidents. That's why there's insurance." Sarah smiled.

"But it wasn't me, it was the car. It's possessed or something," Ethan explained.

"Oh, right! It's a ghost car! Vrooom!" Erica mocked him before walking away.

"Don't worry, bro. When I first started flying, I rear-ended a 747. I hate airline food. Am I right?" Rory questioned.

"Dude, this will all blow over," Benny reasoned.

"I bet it already has," I agreed.

"You! You tried to run me over. I better get my car back by the end of the day or I'm calling the police and I'm going to have your permit revoked. Revoked!" Malcolm threatened.

"Your bandages are leaking," Rory stated.

"Just give him the car, man," Benny said as we turned away.

"I don't have it. The last time I saw it, it was on his front lawn. Growling," Ethan explained.

"We need to find it, all right? No permit means no practice-driving with Sarah. And... uh... Jail time," Benny pointed out.

"Benny! Don't scare him," I scolded.

"Okay, dude, relax. We'll find it," Benny assured him.

"We'll make it talk." I nodded.

~~~

"There you are," I said.

"You missed class," Benny said.

"I ran the car's registration number. Can you believe it was originally designed to be a racer?" Ethan explained.

"That clunker? I could beat it on my tricycle," Benny snorted.

"Your tricycle has rocket-boosters," Ethan reasoned.

"Yeah, you're right. It is a sweet ride," Benny agreed.

"Check out this old newspaper. Malcolm's grandfather was Manfred Bruner," Ethan said.

"Bruner? As in Bruner Automobiles?" Benny questioned.

"Yeah. That car's been in a bunch of suspicious accidents—all involving members of his family. Then it just disappeared," Ethan explained.

"Wow. Remind me never to be related to Malcolm Bruner," I snorted.

"This totally shows that there's something going on with that car," Ethan concluded.

"How?" Benny asked.

"Suspicious accidents? I bet that car was possessed back then, too. This is my get out of jail free car. We gotta spread the word," Ethan said, gathering his things.

"Word-spreading. Okay," Benny agreed.

Ethan's phone rang as I pulled on Benny's hoodie. "Hey, Rory. What's up? What, no! Well... at least now we know where the car is."