Siren Song

"I almost caught this spoon," Ethan muttered as we played video games.

His phone rang, and Ethan picked it up. "Phone," Benny said, annoyed.

"Hello?" Ethan answered.

"Who is it?" Benny asked.

"Rory says he's gonna 'drop some beats' at the open mic tonight. Do you wanna go?" Ethan explained and Benny laughed. "He says there's a really hot girl going up first."

"Doesn't matter. I have one right next to me," Benny replied, making me beam as he kissed me sweetly.

"Sorry, Rory," Ethan apologized and hung up.

~~~

"She destroyed the audience. I tried to destroy the paramedics when they showed up, but they asked me to be quiet while they worked," Rory explained the next day.

"So, the entire football team is in the hospital? No wonder there's so much room in the hallway." Ethan smiled.

"Yeah. Luxurious, and wedgie-free!" Benny walked out into the middle of the hallway.

"If she can work a crowd like that, she's gonna own the talent show this week," Rory stated.

Benny scoffed. "You're assuming the judges will have any unblown minds after they see my fruit juggling." Benny pulled three apples out of his locker. He juggled them, but they disappeared into the air.

"Focus, babe," I reminded him.

"Well, it's either going to be me, or (Y/n)'s singing." Benny looked at me.

"I told you, I'm probably not even going to do tryouts. You know how nervous I get," I pointed out.

"You're a natural! How can you be scared?" Benny asked.

"My singing is weak and untuned," I compared.

"You're amazing!" Benny retorted.

I stopped when I heard singing and I turned, seeing a kid wedgie a teacher.

"Woah. Marty's usually the wedge-ee, not the wedge-er," Ethan said, amazed.

"Attention, students! The talent show tryouts are starting in the school auditorium. I know I can't wait, and yet somehow I will."

"All right," Benny said excitedly. "Time to get my juggle on."

"Better hope you juggle better than I spin, bro! MC MonsterBat takes no p-p-p-p-p-prisoners!" Rory said, walking away.

Benny wrapped an arm around me as we walked away.

~~~

"I don't know most of your names, so I don't have a list. Who's first?" Stern asked.

"I'll go first, Mr. Stern," Benny said eagerly. "Hey, my apples!" Benny said as Rory took a bite out of one.

"Don't worry, I saved you one," Rory said dumbly.

"I can't juggle just one apple. I gotta hit the cafeteria. Excuse me," Benny said determinedly.

"I have a thousand screams in my soul. I yearn to share them all with you," Serena said.

"Go for it," Stern said flatly.

My brain went fuzzy as Serena sang. Her voice clouded my mind as I saw a blurry vision of purple waves. The lights turned off, making the singing stop. I saw my hands were gripping the armrests, close to ripping them off. I pulled my hands away, looking at the irritated skin.