promise

~

To say the least, you were genuinely surprised that this certain person was the one who wanted to talk to you in private. Especially with all this mystery wrapped around it.

The awkward tension fulfilled with silence occupied the air and for a couple of seconds, you were staring at each other without an ability to begin the conversation.

"I'm glad," Mattheo finally breathed out making a little pause between the rest of the sentence, "I'm glad you agreed to meet me,"

"Well, I didn't know it was you I am meeting tonight so," you replied trying to escape looking at him.

"Right," he said quietly and you noticed how the corner of his lips raised a bit, creating a demure smile on his face. 

In order to end this uncomfortable situation which was building up, you spoke again,

"You wanted to talk about something. What is it?"

He finally returned his facial expression you were used to seeing: the clenched jaw, drooping look in his eyes, no smile. And after that, he started to talk,

"Look, the message the Dark Lord sent you," 

The last name made you wince, "How do you know?" you interrupted him, not expecting for your talk to take this turn.

"I just...know, okay. It doesn't matter right now," he replied, rushing, not wanting for you to ask anything right now.

"It does to me. Tell me, Riddle," you insisted, lifting up your voice.

"I can't tell you that y/n," he shouted, but immediately regretting it and making a step back, "I can't tell you that, because I'm not supposed to know. And if He finds out that I do..." he now keeping his voice lower and quieter, explained, leaving you on the middle of a sentence, hoping you understand what it means by yourself.

"Shit," you muttered, feeling bad that you made him say too much, "sorry."

Instead of any kind of response, he started slapping his jacket's pockets and then pulled out the tiny pack of cigarettes, then put one of them into the mouth, and offered you to take a cig by stretching his hand towards you.

You would usually hesitate or refuse to take one, but tonight was the exception. You also placed it between your lips and then he lighted your cigarette before he did the same for himself.

He exhaled, releasing a cloud of smoke. The way he did it, was just, mesmerizing.  It was something that suit him so well as if he has been doing it for a very long time, and it was not the easiest to not observe every motion which he proceeded with this nicotine stick. 

"He doesn't want you to just talk," he said, without any particular emotion, "He wants you to work with him."

"What?" you stared at him with worrisome, "but why me?"

"That's something I don't know at all. He just kept on talking about the power you can give him, the opportunities you can open in front of him. And I can't figure out why is it so," he expressed himself, being absolutely honest with you.

You suspected what was the reason for it and this reason straightway horrified you. You tried to not think about it right now so you didn't expose yourself to the boy in front. After all, it was just a quick thought that flew through your mind and you don't even know if that's a correct one.

"And what if I don't go there or do as he says?" you asked without any hope of a good compromise, but the real answer was even worse than you could imagine.