twisted

~

This was your exam week. With everything happening it was hard keeping up but you really got into it and with some help from Tom you succeeded in preparing well. You weren't stressed about today's Potions exam but the thing that did worry you was that one thought- "I have to talk to him".

It was two days after the night Mattheo kissed you and you weren't able to find him anywhere. It was his hidden talent, to get lost somewhere, to become a ghost. And of course, you couldn't ask Tom about him for several reasons, one of them being he never knows or cares about where his brother is, and second, you can see the frustration on his face every time you say Mattheo's name. So that was never an option and the last hope you got was to see him entering the examination room.

Luckily, it was exactly what happened this morning. He was just a bit late, which took away your ability to talk to him as soon as possible. During the whole exam which was 3 hours, you couldn't look away from the desk he was sitting at. You glanced at him every 10 seconds, constantly losing concentration on your work. 

Theodore Nott who you were paired up with noticed that something was off and whispered, 

"Are you going to tell me what is going on or will you just keep staring at him for the rest of the exam?"

It took you a solid moment until you replied, "Sorry, let's finish this."

He didn't get his eyes off you for a second, then shook his head with a subtle sigh and continued mixing up funny-smelling green and purple liquids.

Soon the exam was over and everyone started packing their bags. You pushed all your belongings into the bag as well and were about to rush to Mattheo's desk when Tom approached you.

"Would you like to join me for lunch outside the premises, darling?" he asked 

You felt paralyzed by such a run-of-the-mill question for a single reason that you almost forgot about your boyfriend. Instantly feeling bad for it, you turned to him to say something, but simultaneously, you were locked in eye contact with Mattheo for a second just as he was leaving the class. 

Thoughts were running and flying across your mind as if trying to break free preventing you from answering to Tom.

"What's up with you? I asked you a question," he raised his voice a bit, irritated by not having your full attention.

"Yes, uhm, sorry," still trying to come up with an excuse to pass on his offer you simply said, "I'm feeling a bit sick and not hungry, but thank you", and added, thinking this was not enough, "also Pansy wanted to study for the rest of exams together in the library right now, so maybe next time?"

You were nervous and clumsy, and your words were coming out of your mouth in ugly chunks, and you were scared of Tom's interrogation about your behaviour, but his reply surprised you,

"Fine, see you later then."

He didn't give you a goodbye kiss as he always does but you didn't care enough about it either. He left the class pretty fast, so you didn't waste time running after Mattheo until it was too late.

In a matter of 2 minutes of interaction with Tom, the youngest Riddle managed to disappear somewhere in these long spacious hallways. You started doubting whether or not Mattheo is just using apparition to escape from you.

Not for the first time you had to go around this gigantic castle in miserable attempts to find him. After almost an hour of wandering back and forth, you decided that it was just a waste of time and headed back to your dorm. 

As you opened the door, Pansy wasn't there. But a little piece of white paper laying on your bed caught your attention.

You came closer and picked it up. It was visibly ripped from the notebook, with uneven edges. You started reading the only 3 barely visible, almost like scratched words that were written on it, smeared with ink as if the pen was about to be empty.