a keeper

~

After the whole discomfiture type of situation, a few weeks have passed. And you still couldn't enjoy enough the lack of stress and non-stop worrisome about your friends and yourself. You finally felt what you were so willing to get from all of this- happy. Not afraid of what comes next, but actually, genuinely delighted about it. And today wasn't an exception.

"God, I'm so nervous," you exhaled, looking down at the huge field from the top of the arena seats.

"Relax, Twinkles, you'll be good," Blaise grinned, being clearly excited to have you on the team. "We'll help you out anyway," then glanced at Theo, "right?"

"I promise, I'll be your backup just in case you decide to fall from the broom,"

Despite the stir, you let out a chuckle, "Hope this won't be needed."

As soon as you changed to the special Slytherins uniform for Quidditch, you accio'd your broom and went out to the pitch.

The truth was, you only got to fly on it a funny number of times, so you just relied on your skills you got far before you were even aware of yourself there.

Some of the boys from the team were already high up in the sky, the rest were waiting for you down there. 

"The one and only is finally here!" your closest friend Adan exclaimed. "Ready to kick some balls?"

Everyone lowly laughed at this old-fashioned yet favorite team's joke.

"Any girl's dream this is," you smiled. "Tell me everything I have to know."

After solid 10 minutes of explaining to you the main rules, Adan, Blaise, and Theo reassured you again that everything will be alright and you were about to go up when Adan looked just above your head, nodding at someone with a slight frown.

"Mate, if you don't know how to read the clock I can teach you,"

"Oi, shut it, Haywood. I'm only 5 minutes late."

The voice, so deep and surprisingly sedate, belonged to no one other than Mattheo Riddle. He was standing so close to you, that you could feel his warm breathing on your nape, sending tiny bits of shivers down your body.

When he walked you around, he fronted you, meeting your stare.

"Hi," he greeted, with some weird intimacy in his tone. You could see his mouth corners twitch, forming a playful look on his face.

"Hey," you said quietly. "I didn't know you were on the team."

"I wasn't. Until yesterday, when they found out I used to play on the Pukwidgie team in Ilvermony. As a keeper. So here I am."

He now didn't even try to hide the smile, plastered on his lips. This look was rare to see on him, so you really wanted to know, what exactly made him so cheerful. 

You didn't manage to question him when you heard a whistle, which meant it was time to start a game.

Following the others, you took off and to your own amazement, you held on really well. You knew your aim-possess Quaffle and send it to the hoops past the keeper. Which in this game meant Mattheo.

Two other chasers were Blaise and Theo, so from the very beginning, you formed a triangle aloft and then changed positions. You were just 5 minutes into the game, but it immediately was quite tense, which you liked.

The ball itself was a bit too big for you, so when you first caught it, you lost control and in order to stay on the broom, had to let it out and put both hands back on the stick.