Chapter 𝟙𝟘 - So Long, Old Friends

What I didn't quite know that faithful year I become stronger at the cost of losing  everything I tried so hard to protect.

1935

It was the summer of '35 and I was in my bedroom getting ready to sleep while my aunt was in her room already knocked out.

I had put my nightgown on and had a robe over it, I was almost to my bed when I heard something. Knock.

The sound had caught me off guard, it was coming from the window. I went to draw back the curtains from the window a little bit and I saw a familiar face. I then opened the window.

"Bucky? What are you doing here so late and what happened?" Bucky who was eighteen at the time same as I was covered in small cuts; bruises had also started to appear on his skin.

"Can I come in first?" I sighed and stepped to the side so Bucky could enter my room, he closed the window behind him.

"We have to keep it down, aunt Dinah will kill both of us if she found out that you're here." I lived alone with my aunt since she never had any kids of her own. When my parent's passed she stepped up to take care of me.

"I know but, I didn't know where else to go," He sat down on the chair near my vanity table. "Help me out? Please?" He pleaded with me.

I couldn't leave my friend in this state of I went to grab my medkit out of my vanity drawer. Getting hurt was normal for Steve and Bucky and, no matter how tired I was I would still help him.

"Alright, what happened?" I asked him while I started to clean his cuts.

"Well, I caught these punks trying to get a one-up on Steve and you know him, he's too stubborn. I managed to fight them off but they got a few hits off me, Steve is alright though."

I was putting a few bandages on him. "Can't say I'm surprised, he never goes down without a fight does he?"

He laughed. "That's Steve for you." Bucky didn't make eye contact with me, he was withholding something.

I looked up at him. "Okay Buck, what's wrong? Y'know I always can tell when something isn't right."

"Tina I-I'm worried about Steve. It's not that I don't think he can handle himself but, he always gets picked on. What'll happen when we aren't there to help him and he gets hurt badly?"

"Hey, don't think like that. Steve's a fighter and yes, I get worried about him too. I can talk to him tomorrow and I'll make sure to watch out for him when you're not there."

Bucky managed to smile. "I could always count on you, Tina." I started to put away the supplies after that, I looked back at an extremely tired Bucky.

"...You're not in the state to walk home."

"No- it's fine, I'll be okay, I'll just tell ma I was at Steve's and I lost track of time-"

"No buts Barnes, you're going to take a nap. I'll stay up in the meanwhile."

"Christina, I couldn't let you do that-"

"Trust me, I'll sleep better when I know you're okay."

"Fine...but, I'm sleeping on the floor."

"Okay fine but here," I went over to my closet and then my bed to get a blanket and pillow for Bucky.

He took the items from me and started to set up a makeshift bed on my bedroom floor. I picked up a book about well, pianos, to pass the time while I sat by my window, letting the moonlight illuminate the pages of my book.