Chapter 𝟝𝟠 - I Tried My Best Buck

When I told Steve, he looked at me like I was crazy, he didn't believe me after all of that he didn't. We had Natasha be the tie-breaker but she couldn't be definitive, HYDRA had kidnapped many soldiers, and we didn't save everyone back in 1945. Somewhere in me, I knew I had to be right, I just knew it.

I never blamed Steve though, even though we were still alive I guess it seemed crazy to him that Bucky could be too. It just became one of those things we never talked about but just because we never talked about it didn't mean I stopped looking.

In two years, I built a whole binder full of anything I could find online, in the S.H.I.E.L.D database. I built a case for the Winter Soldier and I wasn't gonna stop till I saw him, face to face so I could get close enough to rip that mask off.

To see if my mind failed me or not.

But that wasn't the only thing that happened in the two years. The Cove became protected under S.H.I.E.L.D with only a total of ten people knowing about it and of course, I still was very prevalent with keeping my people safe too, Steve and I had met a new friend by the name of Sam Wilson, an airforce pilot, Tony was off doing whatever he did and the Avengers were put on hold. On top of all that, we got to explore the modern world together which was better than I could ever ask for.

I was doing good for myself, I was able to get back on to more high-level missions like now, I was over the Indian Ocean with Natasha and Steve. We were assisted by a task force on a mission to retrieve our personnel from pirates.

Yeah, pirates.

Agent Brock Rumlow was debriefing us. "Target is a mobile satellite launch platform, the Lemurian Star. They were sensing up their last payload when pirates took them 93 minutes ago."

"Any demands?" Steve asked.

"Billion and a half."

"Why so steep?"

"Because it's S.H.I.E.L.D.'s."

"So it's not off course. It's trespassing."

"I'm sure they have a good reason," Nat commented.

"You know, I'm getting a little tired of being Fury's janitor."

"Well Steve," I turned to him. "If he could put me of all people in the doghouse, we're going to have to be just that for now."

"Relax you two, it's not that complicated."

Steve sighed and turned back to Rumlow. "How many pirates?"

"25. Top mercs led by this guy." He pulled up a picture. "Georges Batroc. Ex-DGSE, Action Divison. He's at the top of Interpol's Red Notice. Before the French demobilized him, he had 36 kill missions. This guy's got a rep for maximum casualties."

"Hostages?"

"Oh, mostly techs. One officer. Jasper Sitwell. They're in the galley."

"What's Sitwell doing on a launch ship? Alright, I'm gonna sweep the deck and find Batroc. Nat, you kill the engines and wait for instructions. Rumlow, you sweep aft, find the hostages, get them to the life-pods, get them out. Tina, assist the task force once they land but for now, you're on my six, do your thing. Let's move."

"S.T.R.I.K.E., you heard the Cap. Gear up."

We approached the rear of the plane and the team was starting to prepare parachutes. Luckily for me and Steve, being the superhumans that we were, we didn't need those.

"I just don't understand why the Nightingales couldn't take this mission."

"S.T.R.I.K.E is more than capable of doing this."