Chapter 𝟝𝟙 - More Than 99 Problems

The tension in the lab was heavy than a ton of iron but that was cut when Bruce finally found the Tesseract. That didn't stop the tension from rising, however.

"You located the Tesseract? The Tesseract belongs on Asgard. No human is a match for it."

"You're not going alone," Steve said as he grabbed Tony's arm. Oh great.

"You're gonna stop me?"

"Put on the suit, let's find out."

"I'm not afraid to hit an old man."

"Put on the suit."

"Enough with the damn bickering!" I was already tired of this, this team had barely lasted two days, and everyone was at odds with each other. Steve and Tony looked at me and finally stopped arguing—not without death staring at each other though.

"Oh, my God." Bruce was wide-eyed.

"What? What is it—" Before Bruce could answer, the whole room started to shake, and a blast went off in the middle of the room, pushing everyone back. I heard someone fall through the glass, and the rest dove for cover.

What was that? Why didn't I feel it coming?

"Put on the suit." Steve told Tony in a less confrontational tone.

"Yeah—" They both ran out of the room, and I followed behind them.

Everyone on the hell carrier was on high alert, one of the engines was shot to pieces anymore and everyone would be going down.

Fury was giving out directions. Tony had to fix the engine while Steve and I had to cover his back. Whoever decided to attack us was gonna be in for a big surprise.

I did wish I had more time to talk to everyone, but that would have to come later.

"Engine three. I'll meet you both there." Tony nodded as I and Steve ran down another corridor.

"This is quite the reunion huh?" Steve said.

"It's not what I thought it would be but, nothing ever is."

"You'll get used to it."

"I already have Steve." My helmet started to build itself over my face, and now I saw out of two circular eye holes.

"I thought you could sense disturbances around living things?"

"If I knew they would blow us up I'd issue a warning and, I was distracted." I paused. "They're gonna try and free Loki."

"Split up?"

"No, we'll get them from their entry point. It's better if Tony has two people watching for him."

We got to the end of the corridor and saw a couple of S.H.I.E.L.D staff in masks trying to escape once Steve pulled the door open, we quickly helped them file out before rushing outside.

The platform we stood on was fragile, the aircraft had taken so much damage already. We wouldn't have a fighting chance.

"Stark!"

"Tony!"

"Stark, we're here!" Steve called out to Tony while looking at the burning engine, I was praying that Tony's genius could get us out of this.

"Good." We heard him through our earpiece as Tony flew in with a—metal suit. "Let's see what we've got."

"Y'know, him in a flying metal suit doesn't phase me that much at this point," I muttered.

"I need you to get to that engine control panel and tell me which relays are in overload position." Steve nodded but, I knew he didn't completely understand.