Chapter 𝟜𝟡 - Here's To A New Era

I had a lot to learn but so little time to learn it.

As soon as Nick and I left my new apartment, there was a vehicle outside, well more like four. Black cars lined the sidewalk to the front of my apartment, agents were standing in front of them in black attire also. Security sure was tight but, that was what had to be done with the head of one of the most covert spy agencies in the world.

I looked at Nick. "We're going in different cars."

"Of course, too dangerous to ride together. I got an agent that'll accompany you the hellicarrier and that'll get you more familiar with life nowadays. I'm sure you have a lot of questions."

"I always do, which car am I going in?"

"Third one after that, we have to use a helicopter to get on the ship and I'll let you have a nice chat with our prisoner we have in custody courtesy of the Avengers initiative."

"Great, heights—I'll be fine. See you when I see you."

Fury nodded and walked off to another one of the cars parked along the block. Before I walked to the third car, I took a deep breath knowing that whatever I was going to see would shock me regardless of anything I had already seen in the past few decades. Whatever I would be seeing during this time would most likely challenge anything I've ever believed.

In front of the third car was a woman with straight black hair, dark sunglasses, an earpiece, and a slim figure. She wore a catsuit like she was prepared to fight at any given moment.

The woman stuck her hand out. "I'm Agent Melinda May, I'll be transporting you. It's a pleasure."

I shook her hand. "Pleasure is all mine Agent May, call me Tina."

May gave a swift nod before opening up the passenger door for me and then getting into the driver's side herself. She started to drive following the two cars that were in front of her, they all drove in a confusing formation which was another way to keep everyone safe. May spoke while keeping the complete focus on the road.

"Director Fury gave me the complete rundown on you and I'll have to warn you, there are a lot of things to get used to."

"Figured, I'm sure I'll get used to it quickly. I've been meaning to ask, Fury wasn't being too open on the lead you got in custody, got any idea why?"

"It's hard to even get Fury to tell you what he ate for breakfast but for a case like this, it's better to see for yourself to believe it."

"Right." I looked out of the window. "This lead is the closest thing we have to retrieving the Tesseract."

"You're familiar with it?"

"Fury filled me in, I know what I need to know."

That was the case, Fury had told me over the years that I was in deep sleep, Shield—well, mainly Tony Stark had figured out the deeper power of the Tesseract like his father before had tried to do. I had watched Howard become frustrated with trying to figure it out after discovering it in the sea, it was the limit of the time we were in, it was meant for Tony to uncover but now that it was in the wrong hands, it was very important for me and this new team to get it back before serious damage was done.

I decided to switch the subject just a little. "Have you met the team I'm going to be working with?"

"Briefly, they have a little bit of an issue with working together."

"I'm sure we could fix that."

"Heard you have a talent for that."

"Eh, I'm a little rusty but it won't hurt to try at least." I paused. "...Hey, this is a little off-topic, how would you suggest I start off assimilating into present times?"