Chapter 𝟞𝟜 - Loose Ends

Growing up, movie night wasn't a thing. Y'know, those were the days when you had to be good enough to get enough of your allowance money piled to buy a ticket. Steve, Bucky, and I would gather all of our money when we had it, Steve would get the snacks and Bucky would sneak me in.

Now I sat here in the middle of the day, on my couch, in my living room with all the lights turned off with Bucky. I was introducing him to some of the 80s movies I had grown fond of during operation London Bridge.

Bucky's reactions made my day as he tried with all his heart to follow what was going on during Labyrinth. He adored Dirty Dancing. Shed a tear during The Outsiders and could not stop laughing during The Breakfast Club.

Bucky was so into the movies, it was heartwarming to see him enjoying something that took his mind off of well, everything. We had started watching Labyrinth when Bucky woke up in the middle of the night from his night terrors. Then after that, we had only taken breaks to move around or to clean up. Soon, however on our fifth movie, we had been running low on popcorn again.

I picked up the bowl before standing up. "I'll go get us some more. Be right back."

Bucky slightly looked up at me. "I can pause it if you want."

"It's fine, you go ahead and watch."

"...You sure doll?"

"I'm sure."

He had return to his old self slowly but surely, he told me that peace of mind helped him heal after one hell of a long period of being bossed around. That conversation then led to him having to stop me from pampering him too much, my fault admittedly but I quickly learned that he needed his space at times and he started to learn he didn't have to be scared of hurting me or that I would one day get sick of him and kick him out. He couldn't begin to understand how much I cared about him and I couldn't understand how much he cared for me. That's just how we balanced each other out.

I walked to the kitchen and got another bag of popcorn. I set the timer and waited there until—the door rang. That was unexpected but not for the reasons you'd think.

Nobody every rings my doorbell, the rent is paid by the Cove, my neighbors are extremely anti-social and every single one of the Avengers are too busy doing their own thing to visit me, I liked it that way till it got lonely but I was wrong about nobody ever wanting to visit me.

I got the popcorn out of the mircowave and went to the front door, I saw Bucky move out of eyes view as I went to answer.

"Tina, it's Steve." I heard my second best friend's voice before I even could reach for the doorknob. Of course, I was happy to see he was here but right now wasn't the right timing. Bucky wasn't ready to speak to Steve and even if he hid, Steve could tell when something was up.

So I had to do a bang-up job at distracting him. Here goes nothing.

"Just a second Steve!" I looked over at Bucky and whispered "Go in the bedroom, I'll come in when he leaves."       

Bucky nodded and proceeded to leave the living room as I went to open the door. There Steve was dressed in regular clothes with a smile, I gave him a huge hug. We hadn't seen each other in such a long time.

"You've been MIA Captain."

He stepped into the apartment, closing the door behind him. He looked around. "Been chasing down the rest of our HYDRA leads with Sam."

"And how's that been going?"

"Almost done with the list—this place never fails to impress me everytime I come over here."