Chapter 𝟚𝟚 - Nineteen-Seventy-Nine

Being conscious in the dark wasn't as unnerving as it was before. At least I knew what was happening this time. Me having a few minutes to myself was a cue telling me it was almost time to wake up.

That wasn't what I was afraid of though, if there was something sinister going on in the Cove, I could handle it. Many agents wouldn't ever admit their fears but we'd be lying if we said we had none.

Think about it, I was jumping from decade to decade, getting constantly shocked until nothing else surprised me anymore. I was alone but at the same time, I wasn't.

Sometimes I caught myself longing to go back to my old life like when I was a child, falling asleep, Bucky letting me rest on his shoulder bashfully telling me "it's okay" while Steve drew random objects he saw around him in the sandbox. Or, when they helped me bake a cake when I was twelve for my aunt's birthday. What would my life be like if I stayed back?

It wasn't all bad, I had learned to move on from Howard and I had to thank Henry for that, even if our time together wasn't long. I made peace with the deaths of Bucky and Steve though that didn't stop it from hurting.

And now I laid in the darkness with only my mind to keep me company for now. Is this was Steve and Bucky saw after they died? Maybe they felt like I did right now, at some kind of peace. I hope they found peace anyway because they were so young...and I was too. Mentally anyway. I was still trying to find my way, maybe they were doing that somewhere else.

At least my boys were together.

It's always interesting to me that no matter if I'm in a state of dire distress or calmness that I always think of them. I guess...even now they kept me grounded long after they were gone. Friends like those are rare to find, I'm glad I met them and if I had nothing else, I did have memories.

While I was deep into my thoughts, I noticed the darkness "open up", like it was separating to reveal daylight behind dark curtains. This was it, I was waking up.

The light only got brighter as I strayed toward it until the bright light dissipated into...daylight? Why wasn't I in the Cove like I was supposed to be? Instead of being in the pod, I looked around to see the tall buildings surrounding Brooklyn, in New York. It was midday and I was sitting down, at the park that was close to the playground where I first met Bucky and Steve—what?

I looked down at my outfit and saw that I was wearing a simple emerald green dress. In front of me was a puddle of rainwater. My hair was done up nicely while whatever makeup I had on dripped down my face—I was young, about fifteen. I knew just what was going on.

This was the day I had gotten broken up with by my current boyfriend now, ex. He stood me up and had the nerve to come two hours later after a date with his new girlfriend. I was heartbroken.

But what is this? Did I go back in time? No, that wouldn't make sense. But why is this happening? It doesn't make sense.

"Tina." I immediately darted my head up to the voice of... fifteen-year-old Bucky. He held a bar of chocolate in his hand, it's what he gave me to help me feel better. "I'm back, are you alright?"

He had seemed to calm down a little from when I told him what happened.

"Uh—yes Buck, I'm feeling a little bit better." My voice was dry, that must've been from the crying. I had to play my part, I didn't know what would happen if I didn't. Although I was happy to see Bucky again, whether this is real or not, I couldn't risk messing something up.

He sat down next to me, with concern in his eyes handing me the chocolate. I took it gratefully and started to tear open the packaging.

"I'm sorry for what that jerk did to you—if I see him, I swear I'll—" I patted his arm, he turned to me. I held a piece of chocolate out to him which he stared at and then took. It was just like it was yesterday.