Chapter 𝟝𝟞 - Visiting Hours: Part 2

Peggy, I couldn't believe it. She was still lively and clever as ever even at her age, it was like nothing had changed.

She had looked at me from the side before turning to face me. "How's the present treating you Tina?"

"Peggy, I—"

"We can save the surprise for later, humor me. I've been cooped up in this home for a lifetime it feels."

"...It's been alright so far. I didn't do it alone."

"I'm glad. I'm sorry we couldn't show you the ropes."

I rose an eyebrow. "We?"

"Mr. Jarvis, Howard, Me."

Peggy looked to the floor like she was guilty or maybe she had just started to beat herself up. She shouldn't have been the one feeling bad, I've done enough of that for a lifetime or several. I had just started to accept I had no choice but to leave this all in the past, to leave everyone like how I always did, I had no choice.

"Mr. Jarvis? Peggy, what?"

"He passed away Tina, Ana too but that was a while ago. Grace lives in London now, she's a therapist. Thought you would want to know."

I rubbed my face. "I promised him, I promised I'd visit once I came back."

"He'd understand Tina. You didn't exactly have a choice in the matter." Peggy pursed her lips, fearing she soured the conversation. "I'm sorry to bring up sad news, let's change the topic. You finally decided to visit me."

"Didn't mean for it to take so long Peg, you know how this kind of thing usually goes."

"I do, and usually I'm the first person you come to. What changed?"

I looked away from Peggy, debating on whether to tell her Steve was back but then again, I knew my friend too well. If anything, he would want to be the one to tell her.

"I think you'll meet them soon."

She shook her head. "If you say so anyway, did Dottie contact you like I told her to whenever you reemerged? I swear, just because I'm starting to forget a few things she starts treating me like a child."

"Your daughter? No, the new director gave me an off day—I just have to ask, out of all names to name your daughter, you named her Dottie?"

Peggy laughed before taking a deep sigh. "I promised my cousin who passed that I'd name my daughter after her, lucky for me her name was Dorothy. And now just like my cousin, she babies me."

"And unfortunate set of events."

"Indeed Tina. How's my godson doing these days?"

"He's just like Howard."

"So fine but also, not fine."

"Exactly."

"You know I told him all about our S.S.R days?"

"Our?"

"You and me Tina. His favorite story is the one with you and Elliot Ness and that underwater base."

"No wonder why Tony knows essentially everything about me now."

"I didn't exactly tell him it was you, at least give me some credit."

"Alright, alright Peggy."

I let her ramble, and she and I both knew that she needed it. Her jumping from subject to subject never bothered me it was something she did often even in the old days. There weren't many women Peggy could be friends with because of her occupation, we just had each other. She held my hand the entire time we talked, tightly too.