Chapter 𝟚𝟙 - It Was Good While It Lasted

The year I was allowed outside of the Cove ended just as fast as my first mission as a newly appointed S.H.I.E.L.D agent.

So many things had happened in a year.

Maria was so close to giving birth, I honestly couldn't be happier for Howard, and I hoped that the baby would bring even more joy into his life. Sadly, I wouldn't be here for the birth—I had to wait another ten years. Henry and I had been on and off in a relationship but, we ultimately decided to end it. Our livelihoods played a large part in that decision, it was for the best even though I still wished it could've lasted...

I'd visited the Cove a few times a month and everyone had seemed to be doing fine, Mileena wouldn't talk to me, maybe she regretted telling me that I shouldn't trust everyone. All I wanted to do was understand what she meant by that. Her simple sentence was enough for me to be suspicious about the Cove. It was strange though, everyone seemed trusting, even the vessels that worked in the room where my mother was kept, they were soon too silent but something was eerie about them.

As for the man that attacked me in Las Vegas that one faithful night, they never found him, no matter how hard Peggy, Howard and Violet tried. Yes, it had been a long since it had happened, and even so, the mam still haunted my dreams. He seemed so...familiar to me. Why couldn't I recognize him? It was like something prevented me from identifying him.

Besides that mysterious man, I had a lot to figure out. A few months back, I moved up the ranks at S.H.I.E.L.D and once I came back from Las Vegas, Peggy appointed me as head of one of our special forces groups. The Nightingales. The name came from our use of whistling to communicate in the field. Trust me, it's helpful.

Speaking of my group, we were currently on another mission in which I stood in a hotel room across from a building one that one of my team members was being held hostage—well, that isn't exactly right.

Agent Lucas Thomas was a tall, black-haired, green-eyed, confident expert in escaping if anything went wrong, chances of that happening were highly unlikely. The reason behind him being tied up was because he had infiltrated the last of Deep Sea's head members' properties. Now, he essentially let himself get tied up by guards, waiting for the target to come to talk to him.

In the hotel room, I pointed a sniper rifle at the place Agent Thomas was held at and looked out of the scope to see that they were peeling the tape off his mouth. He was tied up in a chair with rope. Twenty-three years and they still haven't found a more efficient way to do this? Amazing.

I tapped my earpiece to tune into what was happening as I saw James Abbott, a founding member of the Deep Sea, approaching Thomas while his guards left.

The Abbott's aged face twisted in anger. "You and your little organization think you so clever huh?" He was so mad that he didn't even think of us having a backup plan.

"Would I be wrong in assuming that? We easily found you."

"Yes you'd be very wrong considering that you're going to lose your life in a matter of seconds if you don't tell me who sent you." He crouched down and tried to intimidate Thomas.

"I'm sorry, I can't do that for you," He replied with no emotion.

"You don't have to put on an act because they told you to." He got closer. "I know that you're terrified. All you have to do is tell me who put you to this and I'll give you another chance at life, away from all of this."

Thomas stared straight at the older man. "I know who I'm loyal to."

"You're making a stupid decision."

"And you're the one who should be fearing for your life Abbott."

His eyes grew wide. "What the fuck are you talking about?"