II. Rejected One

Abhimanyu drew in a sharp breath.

He sat on one of the seats, right outside the Operation Theatre, his forearm bandaged.
It was aching, but it was fine.

He looked around, the Oberois seemed quite tensed.
Including Omkara Singh Oberoi, who was said to have a cold connection with his father.
"Here, have this sandwich. You will feel better.", This kind voice belonged to Jaanvi Singh Oberoi.

Abhimanyu had clearly not expected it.

He stood up with a smile, between happiness and confusion, taking the sandwich.
"Thank you.", He replied, hungrily taking a bite.
"I can never thank you enough for what you have done, but thank you so very much again.", She said.
He nodded, finishing the sandwich in another bite.

"I can get some more if you want.. or do you want some tea? I got from home, you can-"
"No, thank you for your offer, Mrs. Oberoi but I am fine.", Abhimanyu said, hoping to not melt before her.
"You've given so much blood, it must be exhausting. Have some alu puris.", This was Anika.

"No, no. Thank you. I should leave now.", Abhimanyu said, drawing over the shell of his cold voice.
"Again, thank you so much beta.", Jaanvi held his hand.
He drew in a sharp breath, but nodded with a smile awkwardly.
"You are welcome, ma'am.", He replied, feeling weirdly nice.

Abhimanyu finally turned, with much effort and walked out of the hospital.

He sat in his car, and drew in a deep breath.

Why was he feeling so nice, yet sad?
He knew the reason better than anyone else.

His phone rang.

He hadn't bothered to save the number, but he recognised it quite well.
"How are you my darling son?", The feminine voice asked over the phone.
"As if you care.", He replied curtly.

"Ouch. You don't talk to your mother that way.", She replied.
"Mother? Don't insult the word please. Spare it.", He said in annoyance as the driver started the car.

"Now, now. Did you meet Tej-"
"No.", He replied immediately, and sharply.
"Don't lie to my face, Abhimanyu. I know you did. Listen, the next time you do tell him about-"

"I am not telling him or anyone anything Miss Raichand.", He replied sternly.
"What?! You are there for that job only! You are my trump card to get to him!"
"Are you insane or something?", Abhimanyu finally asked the question that had been inside him for such a long time.

"Yes.. I am insanely in love-"
"Or you are simply jealous of Jaanvi Singh Oberoi, and after almost thirty five years you wanna have your dumb revenge! Look, I am not a part of this crap! Anyways this revenge has taken enough from me!", He shouted and hung up.

"Sir, where to now?", The driver asked softly.

Abhimanyu drew in a deep breath, silently brushing off his tears in annoyance.

"Office.", his voice broke.
He looked at his hand where Jaanvi had touched.

This is going to be tough.

Shivaay couldn't make sense of the whole scenario.
None of the Oberoi Brothers could.

Two days had passed.

Tej Singh Oberoi was now stable after a terrible car accident. All thanks to the O negative blood group blood that Abhimanyu had donated.

Shivaay had expected Abhimanyu to call for something in return but he didn't even make another appearance!

"How did Abhimanyu know Papa's blood group?", Rudra asked thoughtfully.
The trio sat before the ICU. It was ten at night. Everyone was at home, Jaanvi was supposed to reach the hospital any moment. Staying at home at nights was quite difficult for her without her husband.

"More than that, Abhimanyu donated blood and asked for nothing in return. So out of character.", Omkara added.

"I think he has some ploy in his mind, otherwise kindness is not his habit.", Shivaay said thoughtfully.
After his own aunt had wrecked havoc a year ago he rarely trusted people beyond his family.

Just then Shivaay's phone rang.
It was Khanna.

"Yes?"
"Sir, Priyanka ma'am is here.. and she is with Abhimanyu Raichand. You should come back fast.", He said.

Shivaay stood up immediately.
"What happened?", Omkara asked.
"Nothing, I will handle.", Saying so Shivaay rushed out of the hospital.

"You mean.."

"I mean Ranveer Randhawa is cheating on her, Mister Oberoi. If you had used even two of your brain cells you wouldn't have married your sister to a dimwitted middle class idiot like him!", Abhimanyu shouted back.

He was driving back home from office when he had almost hit Priyanka on road. She was drunk, her car had probably crashed on a tree which stayed there, and she was literally standing in the middle of the relatively isolated road.

"Mind your language!", Anika shot back at Abhimanyu.

"Mind my language? Fine.", Abhimanyu said, clearly triggered, "And what about your husband? He pushed his cousin sister into a marriage with him?!"

"It is not Shivaay's fault if that boys a cheaters!", Pinky Singh Oberoi said in defence of her son.

Shivaay sat very silently on the sofa, still unable to absorb what he had seen moments ago.
His sister, his Prinku, drunk and broken because of her husband who she loved. He could already go and punch the guts out of Ranveer, but sat firmly, controlling his ache and anger.

Anika walked down to him and sat beside him, placing her hand on his shoulder comfortingly.
"Shivaay, it is not your fault.", She said softly.
Shivaay wiped off a tear and looked up.

"He is right.", He said in a broken voice.
Abhimanyu stood taken aback.
"You are right, Abhimanyu. It is my fault that my sister is in this state.", He said standing up, drawing in a deep breath.

"No Shivaay. It is not. You have nothing to do about it.", Jaanvi said in his defence, immediately.
She knew if there was anyone who had good intentions in mind for her daughter, it was him.

"And.. Abhimanyu.", She looked at him sharply, "Thank you for your help, but we will manage beyond this."

Abhimanyu stared at her taken aback.
T

his hit him hard.

He hadn't expected it.

I will always be the rejected one, of course.

His face flustered, not a single soul in his thirty four years had dared to talk to him that way.
He gulped, looking down, drawing in an aching breath.

"Yes. I guess I should. Your personal matter.. who am I to have an opinion.", He said softly, shoving his hair backwards and turning to leave.
He had expected the classic "Stop" from behind, but no one said it.

He accepted it, and strode out of the Oberoi Mansion.

Shivaay stood, looking at him leave.
Despite his personal ache, he had seen Abhimanyu's aggressive and confident look vanish into pain in a fraction of seconds.

What was this effect that his Badi Maa had on the so called heartless businessman?

●●●

Drop in your views and votes!
What do you think about Abhimanyu?
What do you think is going to happen next?