Chapter 11

Earth-38

Year: 2021

After spending a few hours with you and Lena, the Avengers had to return to their own Earth. Everyone knew that Earth-199999 needed its mightiest heroes. You were saddened to see them go, but you were also happy because you had the chance to see your family again. They promised to visit you and little River sometime soon whenever they had their off days from being Avengers.

A few days later, Lena took you and your son home. The older woman made sure that you had everything you needed and that you and River would be comfortable at all times. The superfriends would often visit you and Lena, hoping to spend time with their baby nephew. You were extremely grateful for all your friends and your girlfriend. Even after several days had passed, you were still exhausted from giving birth, and their efforts to support you melted your heart.

Lena took her motherly role very seriously, updating all the technology in the penthouse to ensure your son's safety. She read parenting books and even voluntarily took breaks at work to check up on you and little River. Sometimes at night, you would wake up to your girlfriend singing soft lullabies to your son, making you fall even more in love with her.

----------

You woke up to the sound of your son's crying. As you started to sit up to go to your son's crib, Lena stopped your movements and volunteered once again to tend to River's needs.

"Darling, go back to sleep. It's still early for you," the raven-haired scientist said as she carefully carried your son in her arms, causing him to stop crying within seconds.

"You know you should let me take care of our son once in a while," you told Lena as you admired the love she was giving to your newborn.

"I know, but I want you to rest. You've carried our son for nine months now. It's time for me to do my part as his other mother," Lena softly said, being careful not to wake the little boy up. You hummed in agreement at her words nonetheless.

You still felt overwhelmed with happiness whenever Lena acknowledged River as his son. You didn't expect your girlfriend to embrace the role of being a second mother after what you had experienced with Natasha.

While you lovingly observed the interaction between the two most important people in your life, you heard a noise coming from your living room.

"Kara's here?" you asked, sitting up once again from your previous position.

"That couldn't be her. It's 7 am. She's supposed to be either on her morning patrol over the city or at CatCo," Lena explained, sharing the same confused look you had on your face.

Using your speed, you changed into your daywear, now fully aware that there might be an intruder in your living room.

"Stay here with River. I'll check outside," you calmly told Lena, trying not to scare her with your sudden alertness.

"What? No, it might be dangerous out there," the older woman argued, suddenly realizing the possibility of you getting into a fight.

"Lena, love, my body's completely healed because of my enhanced abilities, and besides, if it was an intruder, your alarms should be screaming bloody murder right now," you explained, trying to ease your girlfriend's worries.

As if on cue, Lena's alarm system rang loudly, causing River to stir in Lena's arms and cry. Lena gave you an "I-told-you-so" look, to which you responded by rolling your eyes.

"Stay here. I'll be back," you stated. Before Lena could protest, you immediately left the bedroom and locked it on Lena's side for safety.

Turning off the alarm system from your enhanced watch, you sneaked towards the living room, conjuring energy wisps on your hand, ready to fight whatever awaited you in the other room.