Chapter 14

TW: Cursing

----------

Everything became a blur after Natasha saved your life; you blamed yourself for her getting shot. Despite the power Hydra had given you, you had failed to protect the former assassin.

The redhead was immediately rushed into the operating room for urgent care under Dr. Cho's supervision. Half of the Avengers, including your best friend, opted to stay with the rescued girls at a temporary facility to ensure their safety. However, your father, Thor, Bruce, Clint, and Steve stayed with you in the operating bay, watching Dr. Cho and her team operate on Natasha.

"It's all my fault. She was shot because of me," you muttered to the people beside you, mostly to yourself.

"No, it's not. You were just trying to protect the kid. Romanoff knew the risks and still chose to shield you," your father tried to assure you, but it didn't ease your guilt.

"But I could have done something, Dad! I have all these freakish powers, and I couldn't even protect my teammate!" you argued, feeling responsible for Natasha's life being in danger.

"Your father is right. You did what you could, kid. You can't blame yourself," Steve said, supporting your father and attempting to help calm you down.

"Then who should I blame, huh? You?!" you asked Steve, unable to contain your anger any longer.

"If all of you hadn't treated Nat like a pariah, she wouldn't be in this situation! None of you wanted to be her partner. No one even dared to sit next to her in the Quinjet!" you continued, hot tears streaming down your face once again.

"So maybe you're right, huh? It's not me I should blame. It's all of you!" you finished, face-to-face with the guilt-ridden American soldier and the others behind him.

"Alright, that's enough. AUGUST, call Lena and tell her that my daughter needs her right now," your dad commanded, referring to your AI.

"Let's get out of here, sweetie. You can wait for Lena in your room," he suggested, but you shook your head and stepped out of his reach, still furious with everyone for how they treated Natasha after the revelation and now for her getting shot.

"All of you can kindly fuck off for all I care. I'm staying here," you firmly stated, displaying the stubbornness you inherited from your father. Seeing that your dad and the rest of your teammates couldn't change your mind, one by one, they left the operating bay.

"I'm sorry, kid," your dad said, but you chose to ignore him, redirecting your attention back to Dr. Cho and her team.

----------

Lena immediately left work after receiving the message from your father. She was beyond scared at the possibility of you getting hurt on your first day back as an Avenger.

Praying to every deity she could think of, she quickly transported herself back to the tower, appearing at the entrance of the common room where all the Avengers were gathered except for you.

"Where is she?" Lena immediately asked everyone, her green eyes filled with fear. Wanda, who could instantly read Lena's anxious thoughts, rushed towards her, fearing she might break down at any moment.

"No need to jump to conclusions, Lena. She's safe. She's in the operating bay, watching Natasha's surgery," Wanda reassured her, bringing immense relief to the young Luthor. But confusion quickly replaced her worry.

"If Natasha's injured, why are you all here instead of waiting with Y/n in the same room?" Lena asked, scanning everyone's faces.

"She blames us for what happened to Romanoff. I tried to take her out of the operating room, but she's too stubborn. Instead, she kicked us out. She definitely got that attitude from me," your father replied, answering Lena's question with a hint of jest.