Chapter 13

TW: Blood, violence, cursing.

----------

Earth-199999

Year: 2021

Days after the fight, everyone refused to be in the same room as Natasha. Your father would make snide comments about the redhead before walking out. Steve, Bruce, Vision, and Clint would give her disappointed looks. Bucky, Sam, Pietro, and Peter would stare daggers at the ex-assassin. But perhaps the worst of all was Wanda.

Despite your hatred towards Natasha, you told the others to leave her alone, refusing to cause more trouble for her. However, Wanda refused to listen. It seemed like treating the redhead badly was her only mission in life.

Lena, on the other hand, was upset at the revelation. She couldn't believe someone would try to abort their own child for selfish reasons. You managed to calm your girlfriend down, and now she was back to working on L-Corp after ensuring that you and River would be fine without her, even just for a few hours.

Currently, you were inside the meeting room with all the Avengers, along with Fury, to discuss the new mission.

"Reports of a new Hydra base operating in Germany. This time, little girls are being kidnapped. Hydra is training them and turning them into weapons," Fury explained.

Fury's words sent a chill down your spine and Natasha's as well. It was reminiscent of the Red Room. No one except you knew about Natasha's past, and you couldn't help but look at her in the back of the room. Her face was emotionless, but her eyes revealed pain and anger.

Part of you felt responsible for revealing the whole truth out of spite, and you now felt terrible knowing that Natasha was on her own without someone to rely on, much like her past after she escaped the Red Room.

"Romanoff, Stark, are you alright?" Fury asked, making everyone in the room turn their heads towards you. Natasha also looked at you, curious about your well-being.

"We're fine, boss," you replied, speaking on behalf of both yourself and Natasha.

Natasha gave you a curious look, but you chose to ignore it. She wondered why you answered for her when she could have easily responded, perhaps with a snide remark, as Wanda had been doing behind your back.

"When do we leave?" Steve asked, diverting everyone's attention away from you and Natasha.

"The sooner, the better. You're all dismissed," Fury said quickly. Before anyone could move, Natasha swiftly stood up and walked out of the meeting room.

You returned to your old room in the compound to quickly suit up when you heard a knock on your door.

"Just a sec," you called out, putting on the last piece of your suit. Opening the door, you came face to face with an angry Sokovian.

"What was that?" Wanda asked, upset about what she had read from your mind during the meeting.

"What was what?" you asked, clueless about what she was referring to.

"You felt bad for that monster after what she's done," Wanda stated.

Wanda's statement infuriated you. It was already bad enough that Natasha thought of herself that way, and you didn't need Wanda to add more pain to the ex-assassin's already troubled state.

"Natasha is not a monster, Wanda. She's human. She said something that ruined our relationship, and I let my anger get the best of me. I never meant to make the situation worse for her. I've moved on, and I have a new family back in National City. That's all that matters," you explained, hoping to end the conversation once and for all.