Once a spy always a spy

Hey guys,
I don't know what to say. It has been over a year I think since I updated last. My life has been so busy the last years with Covid, school and so many other things and I honestly didn't really feel like writing. This is one of the drafts I made earlier this year when I went to see the last James Bond movie. I've been trying to write a new oneshot a few times over the last years, but it didn't really work out. Now I'm having a motivational moment in the middle of the night and tried to finish the first part of this draft. There will be at least one other part, maybe more but only the future can tell us more about that.
I will make no promises about returning fully to writing, but I will apologise for the long absence. I will try to update sometime, but it will probably be very sporadic and out of the blue. This is getting to long.
~PercabethWisegirl

PS. I'm sorry, it's not very long.

Summary
Annabeth is a spy and met Percy during one of her missions. 5 years ago she quit and went to live a happy life with the love of her life. It's a James Bond AU inspired by the last James Bond movie.

Annabeth's POV

"Wisegirl, there's a letter for you."
I looked up from my book and saw Percy entering the living room.
"Who's it from?"
He shrugged.
"Don't know. There's no return address."
He grabbed his keys from the coffee table and kissed my cheek, before handing me the letter.
'You're gonna pick up Althea?"
He nodded.
"Jup and I'm gonna stop at the store too. You need anything ?"
I shook my head, putting my bookmark inside my book.
"Not really. Drive safe, seaweedbrain."
He smiled.
"Always. I love you."
"I love you too."
A smile lingered on my face as I watched him leave the living room. When I heard the car engine start, I looked down at the letter in my hand. Just an ordinary white envelop with our address and my name written on it. The only mistake was that the consignor still used my maiden name instead of Percy's last name, the one that I accepted when I married him 4 years ago.
That made me frown. Hardly anyone except for Percy and his mom know my maiden name. The only ones that do...
It can't be. I retired over 5 years ago. We agreed that I'd finally got to live a normal boring life without man hunt parties and potential serial killers behind every corner. I put that life behind me. Or so I thought.
Hesitantly I opened the envelope. A small piece of paper. That was all it contained. A small piece of paper that contained 9 numbers. A phone number.
I sighed and shook my head, my hands finding their way to my scalp. Why now? My life finally took a good turn. I married the love of my life, didn't put him in life threatening situations anymore and even had a beautiful daughter with him. Couldn't they find another special agent? One that wasn't retired and had a kid? Well I can't really blame them for not knowing about the 'married and child' part. I haven't really had any contact with them since I left the headquarters 5 years ago. For all they know, I could be dead.
Apparently I had been thinking for a long time, because the sound of the car arriving on the driveway made me look up. I quickly set the letter aside and stood up. Just in time for me to get not blown of my feet, when my three year old girl flung herself at me.
"Hey sweetie. How was your day at grandma's?"
"It was great! We went to the park and watched Finding Nemo!"
She said, hugging my legs tightly.
I smiled as I picked her up.
"Daddy made some cookies earlier today. Do you want some?"
She nodded as she snuggled deeper into my chest.
When we entered the kitchen, Percy had already put some cookies on a plate and was pouring a glass of milk for Althea. She happily accepted the glass from her father after I put her down in her chair.
Percy walked around the table and wrapped his arms around me. I smiled and leaned into his chest.
"What did the letter say?"
He asked. I sighed.
"Not good news, I assume."
I shook my head.
"I'll tell you after we put her to bed."
He nodded and kissed my cheek, before walking over to Althea.
"Who wants to make a castle with me?"
Althea laughed and raised her hand.
"Me! Me! Daddy! Me wants to make a castle with you!"
I laughed and took the dirty plate and glass away. As I put them both in the dishwasher, Althea tugged at my skirt.
"You gonna join us, mummy?"
I smiled and nodded.
"Sure sweetie, I'll be there in a moment."

ΩΩΩ

"So is it from who I think it is?"
Percy asked as we relaxed in the sofa together. I hummed and reached over to snatch the envelop from the side table.
"They're the only ones that still know my maiden name."
I said as I passed the envelop to him. He accepted it and looked at the address, before turning it around and opening it.
"Not much of a letter."
I chuckled.
"You know how they are. The less info, the better the job."
He frowned for a moment.
"Should I be worried?"
I sighed deeply, rubbing my temples.
"Probably. You're not the only one who's concerned. I don't want to call the number either. But if they did the effort to both track any trace of me that I left behind, which is barely any, ánd send me a letter... Chiron probably didn't see any other way ."
Percy was silent for a moment.
"This means big trouble, doesn't it."
He whispered eventually.
I nodded, biting my lip.
"I'm sorry."
I said after some time of silence. Percy frowned.
"What are you sorry for?"
He asked confused.
"For this. For putting you, once again, in danger while I promised it would be over 5 years ago. For putting Althea in danger..."
He shut me up by covering my lips with his. His lips caressing mine sweetly, reassuring me like no one else could. I closed my eyes and let myself sink into him.
"Like I said last time, Love. You'll never get away from me, never again. Don't apologise. I knew what I signed up for when I chased after you in Athens while being followed by lunatic gangsters boys."
I chuckled.
"That was the maffia, Seaweedbrain. Not just gangster boys. Though they were lunatic."
Percy laughed.
"Gangster boys, maffia. It doesn't matter. I know you'd do anything to protect us and I trust you, Wisegirl. We'll figure this out."
I smiled.
"Together."
"Together."
I grabbed my phone and dialed the number. Percy circled his arms around my waist and laid his head on my shoulder. After 4 seconds a familiar voice spoke up. Grover.
"Name?"
He said in a monotone voice. I took a deep breath.
"Agent 007"
I heard his breath hitch over the phone.
"Reason?"
His voice sounded strangled. It had been 5 years since I last saw him. Grover had been my best friend back in London. It broke my heart to leave him, but we both knew it was for the best. I should have known he would be the one answering the call. He always answered the calls.
"You tell me, 005"
Percy squeezed my hand when my vision started to get blurry.
"Let me guess. Just the number?"
He said, his voice heavy with emotion. I smiled through my tears.
"They're always the best, aren't they."
Percy wiped my tears away and pecked my cheek.
"You know I can't say more. I'll put you through. I- I miss you."
Before I could respond the line went dead and reconnected again.
"I was wondering when you'd call, dear."
"So know it's a 'when' and not an 'if' ?"
Even though I couldn't see him, I knew he was smiling right know.
"We both know there was never an 'if' , dear."
By now Percy's thumb was caressing my hand, moving slowly up and down. I leaned a bit more into him and squeezed his hand.
"I'm not putting them in danger, no matter what."
"Don't worry about that. They'll be protected at all time. I'll make sure if that."
I took a deep breath and looked at Percy. He smiled and nodded encouragingly, putting a strand of hair behind my ear.
"When's the flight?"
"You know where to find everything you need, dear. I'm pretty sure you didn't outlearn this after 5 years."
I rolled my eyes. Once a spy always a spy.
"See you soon, dear."
"See you soon, Dad."

To be continued...