25: New Jersey

"I've missed you." I hug Lottie tight. It's been a week and it's felt like a year. We spoke basically every day. Only over text because she wouldn't answer my calls I just assumed she was busy and we had a time zone difference. It's not the same as sneaking off for a cuddle or holding her hand under the table. Or hearing her voice, I've only heard it on her answerphone.

I pulled away slightly when she didn't say anything. "What's wrong?" She shook her head tears filling her eyes. I was concerned, to say the least, but with the paps out here it wasn't the time to question her not if she was upset about something. "Let's go inside," I tell her keeping my arm around her and bringing her into the hotel. "Lottie you're back," Tom said hugging her as we cross the lobby. Everyone was getting checked in. We're in New Jersey this week. We have a few down days though. "You okay?" She nodded coming back to my side like a magnet. Tom frowned at her scanning her face trying to get the information I was searching for. What was wrong with her. What had happened? Florence came running over and pulled her into a hug from my arms. "My mums just told me." She said cupping her face. She had tears in her own eyes and looked equally upset. "Are you okay?" She stepped back from her, it's like she wasn't here, she was in her head she was looking through us all like she didn't see us.

"What happened?" Tom asked Florence. "Charles... he-"Shut up," Lottie told Florence firmly. "Can I check-in?" She asked. "Yeah go," Tom told her, Robert wrapped an arm around her at the desk. Pecked the top of her head.

"What's happened?" I asked needing to know. "I think she wants to tell you herself," Florence said. Lottie had her room key and looked at me nudging her head. "We'll bring the bags up." Is Florence being nice to me? This must be bad. "Thanks." I got to Lottie and we go to her room. I closed the door and the second I did she crumbled to the floor in floods of tears.

"Baby?" I wrapped my arms around her tightly. "What happened?" "He's dead." She sobbed holding on to me. "I've got you, baby," I tell her I tried to blink back my own tears upset over this myself.

"He was fine when I left. We went riding together and he was okay." She told me. "And I landed and Linda called..." "We don't have to talk about this," I tell her. "He had a heart attack in his sleep... Now he's gone." "He loved you, and he was proud of you." "I don't care, I just want my pop's back." "We can go home. I'll get Rose and we can go home." "I have to work. I can't. All Eddie's things are there and Pop's and dads I just. I can't." "Okay... We can go to LA, you can stay with me." "I just want to work." I nodded.

"I need you. I need you." "I'm here. I'm not going anywhere okay." I cupped her face so she would look at me. "I'm here. I'll always be here." "He's gone." Her bottom lip wobbled as she fought the urge to cry. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry."

There were a few light knocks on the door. "Lottie?" It was Florence. "Come in, Flo," I called to her looking at her over my shoulder. "I brought your bags up." She pushed our cases in. "Thanks. Robert checked you into this room with Lottie. I'm going to share with Brie." I smiled at her "Thanks." She nodded. I opened one of my arms, she needed a hug and she was my friend. She knelt on the floor and let me wrap my arm around her. "It's okay," I tell her when she sobbed. Their families were close and I know he was a big part of her life too.

--------

"We can just order room service," I tell her as she pulled on her hoodie. She didn't need it, it was really warm out but I think she just wanted the comfort, I believe it was one of her brothers, I'm sure I remember it from the boxes we partially sorted through when we were at the farm one time.

"I'm fine, I just need the distraction." "I don't want you to block it out." "I can't block it out Scarlett, I have a funeral to plan. I have no choice other than to be strong right now." "You could at least just take a day." "I don't need a day. I've had plenty of practice." I sighed and she tied her hair up in a messy bun completing the look of her giving up on herself. She only wore her hair up in the house like that, pairing it with no make-up and a hoodie that was three sizes too big for her, puffy bloodshot eyes it was clear she wasn't okay.