49: Slip Up

We both flopped down on the bed rubbing our faces completely exhausted from lack of sleep. Working and having a newborn at home... Not fun. Not at all. Luckily my film is almost over and I'll be at home all hours of the day to help Scarlett with our baby... Yes, our baby.

6 months after the wedding we started to try for a baby... Scarlett carried them as my schedule wouldn't allow for anytime off for a long while. It was summer so Rose was home too. Luckily for us, she was old enough to do a lot for herself. And she helped out with the baby so much. I looked at Scarlett and she was already looking at me. I pecked her lips. "Get some sleep," I tell her. "What if She wakes up?" "I'm more than capable," I tell her sitting up. "Are you sure?" "Yes Scarlett, I'm sure I don't mind looking after my daughter," I tell her covering her with our bedsheets. "Thank you." "You don't have to thank me... We're in this together." As I said that she began to cry. "I got her, you sleep." I stroked her hair off her face and went into the nursery.

"Oh, what's wrong baby?" I asked picking her up and rocking her, she soothed really easily. She just hated being laid down in her crib. I grab her blanket and take her downstairs. "Morning, Rosey," I say when I see her in the kitchen. "Morning." She yawned. "Can you drive me to Megan's?" "When?" I asked her. "12? She's invited me over to go in the pool." "Yeah sure... What time do you need to be picked up?" I asked her so I could plan my day around drop off and pick up. "Megan's mum said she'll drive me home." "Okay... Well text me when you're on your way back and I'll open the gates." She nodded. "Do you want me to make your breakfast?" I asked her adjusting her sister in my arms. "You have the baby." "Doesn't mean I can't make my princess breakfast," I tell her cupping her chin. Scarlett and I have been trying to still give Rose a lot of attention and energy not wanting her to feel replaced, or pushed out. Especially by me. EB is my first child but Rose will always have a special place in my life, I love her the same as EB I treat her the same. And I didn't want her to feel like things will change.

"Can you get me the carrier?" I asked her, she nodded and went off to the mudroom. Bring back the baby carrier. She held EB whilst I got it on and then we put her in. She was sleeping against my chest. This carrier has been a lifesaver, we wouldn't get anything done without it. "What do you want?" I asked her. "Can I have avo on toast with scrabbled eggs please?" I nodded and got to work. She spoke to me the whole time telling me about her friends and her plans this summer. It was nice having her home, we miss her around the house.

"Are you going to your dads this summer?" I asked her. "No." She hasn't seen him much since he broke in. I think it shook her up a little bit. "I can come with you... We could go to the coffee shop nearby him? Or the bowling alley?" "You'd come?" "If you wanted me there." "Can I think about it?" "Of course." I pecked her head as I set her food down in front of her. I made some for myself too.

"Is mummy sleeping?" "Yeah, EB wouldn't settle last night so she's getting some shut-eye." She nodded. "You think we could go out this weekend? Do something together?" "Yeah, I have Sunday off from work... We could find somewhere to go. Do you have anything in mind?" I asked her taking a bite of my food. "We could go on a hike? And then for ice cream." "I like the sound of that." "Could we go to the mall too? All my friends have these new trainers and I would like to get them too." "We'll have to ask mummy about that." Scarlett has been a lot more anxious since having the baby and going into very public places really triggers her. Rose and I have been doing the grocery shopping since EB was born because the first time she went she had a big panic attack and I didn't want to put her through that. "But we could maybe order them? Here." I hand her my phone from ym sweats pocket. "You find them and we'll order them to the house." She smiled up at me. "You don't have to do that." I shrugged. It was just a pair of trainers. "Thank you, Muma." "Anything my for you," I tell her with a smile.