37: A New York Christmas

LOTTIE'S POV

Scarlett hasn't been herself. She didn't want to leave the house, she was quiet, she was struggling to keep up with Rose. I've been trying my best to help her deal with Rose and interact with her family. Also, help reduce the impact of her mother.

"How you are?" Hunter asked sitting beside me on the sofa. Scar was asleep in my lap I ran my fingers through her hair to comfort her. Her parents were in the kitchen arguing. Which is pretty much all either of them has done since we arrived. Rose was out with her uncles they were going to pick some food up for dinner. She was bored of staying in the house and Scarlett was too anxious to leave the house so this was pretty much the only way she was leaving today. "I'm fine." I say looking down at Scar. She clearly didn't sleep much last night. "She's been a lot calm this time believe it or not. You're helping." He told me. "I just wished she didn't treat her like that." "Me too." He said sadly. "Told you it was a war." He joked. "It's different, I'll give you that." "What was your Christmases like?" I shrugged. "They were nice, mostly." Except for that one where we found my father dead on the kitchen floor. But I kept that comment to myself. "Yeah?" "We would decorate the tree with Christmas songs playing and we'd go to the Christmas market and light switch ons. When we were really young dad would take us to see Santa, but we grew out of that." "Sounds good." "Yeah." I nodded. "My friends family would stay with us over winter break so it was like living with my best friend." "Fun then?" "Yeah, we'd go on a horse ride Christmas morning if it hadn't snowed of course.' "Horses?" "I lived on a farm." "Scarlett mentioned that." "Rose loves it there." "She's the out door type." He says and I nodded.

"You think Scar would mind if we-"Fixed Christmas?" "I want our first Christmas to be memorable not for the bad." "I think we could arrange that." "I'll take her to bed and then we can start planning." I nodded and he took her upstairs. She was in a very deep sleep she didn't even stir.

When he came back down we began to plan the perfect Christmas. Baking cookies, decorating the tree, going ice-skating in Rockefeller Centre, going Christmas shopping in harrods, going to the holiday markets and finally tickets for a Christmas show. That was more for Rose and I's enjoyment but Scar would enjoy seeing us happy.

"You put me to bed?" Scar pouted coming back to lay with me. I hugged her and she nestled into my chest. "You were out for a while." "They're still arguing?" Hunter nodded. "Rose is back. She's playing with her cousins." I tell her. "Is she okay?" "Yeah, I think Christian brought her some sweets because she's seemingly very hyper." "Just what I needed." "She's happy." I say playing the positive. "Anyway, we need to go change." "Why would we do that? PJ day is the best." "Yeah, thats right but do you know what's better?" "Sex?" "Yes but no." Hunter and I laughed. "We have to go pick out a tree." "We don't do that." "This year we are." Hunter told her. "So go get dressed, I'll meet you in the car in 30." He then left.

"I don't want to leave." "It'll be fine. When we get back we're making dinner for the family. Rose is going to help." "Lottie don't make me." "I'm going to make you." I tell her sitting up smirking at her. "I hate you." "Yeah, yeah." I waved my hand standing up. "YOU RUINED HER!" "SHE'S WORTHLESS!" "It'll be good... I have a headache." I say taking her hand and pulling her up. She kissed my temples.

-----------

We pulled up at the tree farm. Rose held both of our hands in the middle of us, she looked around at the trees we were naming them. Well Rose was we were nodding and laughing at her odd names she was coming out with. "When can we see Natasha?" She suddenly asked. "Soon." "Who's Natasha?" "My cow." Rose said like it was the most normal thing. "I got a horse too." She says. "Ooh this one!" Rose said running to a tree.

"She has a cow?" "Yeah, Grandpa Charles gave it to her." Scar says with a smile. "I'm going to help Rose." I say leaving at the mention of my pops' name. "You want this one?" I asked her inspecting the tree with her. "Yeah, I like this one." "Then I guess we'll be getting this one. Let's get your uncles to help us." "You not strong enough?" "Of course I am." I say smiling. "Just don't want to ruin my coat." She laughed. "Of course you are." She said not believing me I laughed.