chapter three!

chapter three! the history project

─── ✽ ───

"You struggling?"
Thea asked, walking up behind her twin as she rattled the lock on her newly assigned locker.

"Yeah, it won't open," Rory answered, leaving her locker for a moment and turning to face her estranged sister, not realising Thea didn't just mean with her locker,
"I think it's stuck. Do you think I should ask for a new one?"

"You're not going to last long here," the Hartford girl admitted, brushing one of her dark curls out of her eyes, "If you hadn't already realised, this isn't your small-town hick school. You might have been top of your class there, but you're not here."

"I earned my place here," Rory tried to defend, her eyebrows furrowing as she observed her sister.

"Everyone earns their place here," Thea shook her head, wrapping her arms tighter around her history textbook, "doesn't mean they survive here. That doesn't mean this school won't destroy them."

Thea turned and moved away from her sister, striding into Mrs Ness' classroom, and smiling at her friends before she took her usual seat just behind Paris. The Gilmore girl raised an eyebrow as Paris stormed into the room, a scowl on her face as she fell into her seat in front of Thea.

"Your sister -" Paris grumbled, turning around to face her best friend.

"Is in this class," Thea breathed out, pointing at Rory who had just walked into the classroom.

"Oh, you've got to be kidding me," Paris sighed, dropping her bag onto her desk as Mrs Ness strode into the classroom.

"Ok, we left our projects off on Friday with Mr Gaynor," Mrs Ness called the class to order, "So today we will pick up with Miss Geller."

Paris rose to her feet, smoothing out her skirt, "I don't have my projects."

"Miss Geller, did you have sufficient time to complete your project?" the teacher asked surprised about Paris' lack of a project.

"Yes,"

"And yet you don't have it done?"

"No,"

Their history teacher sighed, "You will receive an incomplete on the project."

Rory suddenly jumped to her feet, surprising everyone, "It's my fault."

"Who are you?" Mrs Ness asked not recognising the new face in her classroom.

"Rory Gilmore. I wrecked her project."

"Shut up," Paris hissed at the elder twin as their teacher went through the register to find the new name.

"I don't have a Rory Gilmore. I have a Lorelai Gilmore or a Theodora Gilmore, and I know that isn't you," Mrs Ness read off the register before gesturing over to the younger Gilmore who sat impatiently waiting for the lesson to start.

"That's me, uh Lorelai,"

The teacher raised an eyebrow, "You are Rory and Lorelai Gilmore?"

"Yes," Rory nodded quickly, "And I wrecked her project. My locker got stuck."

Paris glared over at the new girl, "Just stay out of this."

"Do you go by Rory or Lorelai?" Mrs Ness asked, getting impatient with the nonsense that was taking place.

"Whatever,"

The teacher sighed, "I need you to pick one."

"One what?" Rory frowned.

"One name,"

"Rory," the girl's eyes widened in realisation.

"Thank you," the teacher nodded, making a small note on her register, "Rory, you wrecked Paris' project when?"

"Just before class," Rory confirmed.

"Very convenient,"

"No, I did. My locker got stuck," Rory promised, turning to her sister in panic, "Thea tell her my locker got stuck."

"Stop it!" Paris yelled.

Mrs Ness sighed once more, "Miss Gilmore, Rory, since you say you wrecked Miss Geller's project, then you may help her fix it. You have until tomorrow."

Rory nodded, "Fine."

"No. I don't want your help!" Paris scowled.

"But I don't mind doing it."

"Just stay out of this."

"I'm trying to help you," Rory turned to the blonde, a pleading look on her face.

"Well don't!"

"Ladies, enough," Mrs Ness sternly interjected, "Miss Geller, if you don't want Miss Gilmore's help you may have until tomorrow. If it's not done, you will receive an incomplete. Is that understood?"

Paris nodded as she lowered herself onto her seat, "Yes."

"As long as you're standing, class, we have a new student. Say hello to Rory Gilmore."

As the class said their hello's, Tristan smirked, eyes meeting Rory's blue ones, "Hello Mary."

• • • • • • •

"Let's try another passage, 'The Romanists have, with great adroitness, drawn three walls round themselves, with what they have hitherto protected themselves so that o one could reform them, whereby Christendom has fallen terribly.' Who said that?" Mrs Ness questioned, looking out at the students, hoping one would soon answer.

"Martin Luther," Rory quickly answered, seconds before Paris could.

"Very good, Miss Gilmore. And what year did Martin Luther address the Christian nobility?"

"1520,"

"Very good, Miss Gilmore," and with that, the bell signalling the end of the school day rang out, "Until next time, class."

"Stay out of my way. I will make this school a living hell for you," Paris spat out at the new girl, storming out of the classroom leaving Rory in her wake.

"Don't say, I didn't warn you, Stars Hollow,"